Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
By brodie_geers
I used the Inox material formula for stainless steel
I figured you say something scientific like that. I'm glad you've created this as I too have been displeased with our selection of SS in the past but could never make something better. Can't wait to try it out.

Any thoughts on why you think the displacement looks so much better than bump for such small grooves? Did you try a normal map at all?

-Brodie
By Half Life
Contrast I think is the main thing, bump can only achieve so much contrast because it is faking shadows and light on the metal surface -- but metal by it's nature is a pretty contrasty surface so I think the displacement allows the true beauty of the metal to show through.

It also seems to have the benefit of hiding tiling artifacts a bit better.

I did not try normal maps because I was too lazy to create a custom map for this -- I just reused one I had lying around. :oops:

Like most of what I do I was just testing ideas to see if it would go anywhere.

Best,
Jason.
By Half Life
I've upgraded the RAL Painted Wall MXM line (183 colors) -- it now has a better normal map (and related settings).

Please download and replace the previous version(if you had it already)... please note this will only be compatible with Maxwell 2.6.10 forward.

RAL Painted Wall set

Best,
Jason.
By JTB
Thank you!
By macray
thanks a lot! Love to use your materials.
By Half Life
weavetest.png
weavetest2.png
Download the Material

This material is primarily meant to be used for sheer curtain fabrics -- you can change the texture tiling for different effects, adjust the overall thread translucency and shine by increasing/decreasing the 2nd layer opacity(be careful with this), and change the color(example included, nothing over 225).

This is based on an idea that I've been playing with for a long time (starting here with a related feature requested here) -- the thing that was always less than satisfactory from previous attempts (for me) was the quality of the weave normalmap and faking weave anisotropy/R2... so I made all of the textures custom by modeling the weave and rendering the relevant channels in Maxwell.

These are very large textures and you could probably reduce their size without a noticeable quality loss... this material will hold up to extreme closeups, but the moire effect can be problematic (although this does happen in real life to a lesser extent)

Best,
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Half Life on Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Half Life
I've been waiting for the 2.7 release to publish the new version of my Brushed Stainless Steel MXM -- this uses all new maps (in a different configuration) and is based on normal mapping. Anybody who has the old version should download the new version instead. It can be downloaded on the Maxwell resources website, or directly by clicking the link below.
Download the material

Best,
Jason.
Last edited by Half Life on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By simmsimaging
Half Life wrote:
weavetest.png
weavetest2.png
Download the Material

This material is primarily meant to be used for sheer curtain fabrics -- you can change the texture tiling for different effects, adjust the overall thread translucency and shine by increasing/decreasing the 2nd layer opacity(be careful with this), and change the color(example included, nothing over 225)....
Best,
Jason.
Haven't had a chance to try this mat out, but it looks great! Thanks for sharing it.
By Half Life
Thank-you and you are very welcome :D

I have released updated versions of my distressed gold and black picture frame finishes on the Maxwell Resources website
gallerytester_black.png
Download the material here

gallerytester_gold.png
Download the material here

Best,
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By Half Life
I updated my Sheer Curtain material on the the Maxwell resources website -- the only change was the old angle map contained incorrect values (due to a loss of accuracy when saving the original as a 3-color indexed PNG file from Photoshop)... this error has been corrected. Please replace the previous version with this new one:

Download The New Angle Map Here

Best,
Jason.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]