Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
Below is an image of a material effect I am trying to create, but failing miserably at. If you look at the orange section of the object, you can see that the light interacting with the plastic is causing it to seemingly self illuminate. I have been trying all night long to create this effect and have had no luck whatsoever. I have been working with SSS materials and have a decent SSS material for the plastic itself, but it doesn't seem to want to react with the light in a correct way to create this effect. Please help me with this, before I go insane!!! Thanks guys!

i'll give both of those a whirl and see how they go. The plastic material is kinda different direction than i'm trying to achieve though. what i'm trying to do is just a quality of semi translucence that pretty Many plastic materials have. Not really a special case scenario, like that Fluo plastic is.

Regardless, thanks for the link help so far, I will try both of those methods out. maybe they'll fix my problem.
I advise against using an emitter especially in conjunction with an SSS material.
Here is an attempt on recreating this material with SSS alone including settings:

Its not perfect, but pretty close, the look depends a lot on the lighting as well too. Concerning lighting you have to keep in mind that currently SSS does not clear very fast with emitters, especially small size ones. An HDR environment works best and even then SP levels of around 20+ are nothing uncommon. The image above took around 2h on a 12core I7 with very large emitters, so you see its very slow and was even denoised on top. If the object you showed is the sole centerpiece of your renderings you'd have to use HDR for sure (especially seeing that there are sitting two scattering objects inside of each other!). If it is just a small object somewhere in a larger scene I'd use regular plastic without SSS + photoshop.

BB
Thanks a million for this Tora! I'm still trying to wrap my head around the SSS stuff and haven't been to successful yet. Working with your settings will definitely help me understand a bit better.

The time you mentioned is definitely an acceptable time for me...I am using the same processor as you, it sounds like. This material will used for a product shot, so it basically needs to look right no matter how long it takes.

below is the image I'm working on...I'm just picking some objects with plastic for testing right now. You can see it looks fairly flat and a bit too solid without the SSS. :

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]