Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
By KurtS
Hi,
I'm trying to create a good SSS-material, but I'm struggling a bit to achieve the effects I want.

Have a look at this excellent sample, can this be done with Maxwell?:
By Maximus3D
I'd say it depends on if SSS was improved in 1.5 or if it's still the same as in 1.1, but assuming it was improved then there is a chance you could achieve something similar, however it will generate loads of noise and take forever to render.

/ Max
By -Adrian
I've had no success with SSS i 1.5
By KurtS
-Adrian wrote:I've had no success with SSS i 1.5
neither have I. I've made some tests, and there is some kind of SSS effect - but I'm not able to control it or make it look natural.

the strangest thing is how an ordinary bump map can have such an influence on the SSS result. There are no color maps or other maps used - just the bump map.
By KurtS
I've searched the tutorials section and forum, and I've searched the gallery forum - but I've found very little on SSS. There are a lot of great SSS images on various 3D-sites on the Internet, but nothing made with Maxwell. Is this a weak part of Maxwell Render?
By KurtS
you are probably right, and that means the result could be tortally different in 1.5?

Whant kind of model/scene is best for testing SSS? I could make a skull, but it would probably take me a month... :)
By raja
hi,

I tested SSS in 1.5 with Milk material from Tom. Following is result after 24h20s, SL 17.26. Without the glass tube, the sss material clears faster:

By KurtS
24 hours is a lot for such a simple scene.

looks like SSS is not the strongest side of Maxwell....
By JTB
KurtS wrote:24 hours is a lot for such a simple scene.

looks like SSS is not the strongest side of Maxwell....
SSS and dielectrics simply don't work well in 1.5
I guess we have to pay for them when RS2.0 comes :!:
By KurtS
I gave up on trying to develop SSS-materials. It looks like fake-SSS works better and is a lot faster. I would be happy if anyone could show me a rendering where a SSS-material really works (and fake SSS not)
SS Pinto Bean

Thanks Mark! Here's a story that goes along with […]

what about gpu maxwell q project?