Everything related to http://resources.maxwellrender.com
By KurtS
great! even better than this one:
By Thomas An.
Maximus3D wrote:Thomas, this object is your baby and you should take care of her. :)
Actually, I wouldn't mind some creative help / competition from the professional designers here and would be glad to pass the baton. My skill in design is mediocre (on a good day). It is not easy to come up with something simple that works, while still being elegant at the same time.

It takes a lot of iterations that end up in the trash. Here is a failed attempt from many months ago. It looks both as a decorative (hand-sized) object and as a building (it could be in 30cm and 10m versions) it has a base that forms an outline of the letter "M" (for Maxwell) in the transparent version and it has curvature, varied thicknesses, thin edges (for SSS), as well as a mirror light trap, internal emitters, and three flat wall blocks ... but ... it is just not *it*. There are problems too.

By Hervé
... your skill design is mediocre... ahaha... great designers are too shy... while the bad ones are "king of the world"... sort of...

8) :wink:

yes I love it.. a good design is a design that works.. and boy does that one works right ! :D
By KurtS
Great attempt!
you are definitely on to something, but I can imagine there are some problems regarding displacement and those rather sharp edges and narrow gaps?
By Bubbaloo
Dude, even your self-proclaimed "problem" designs are better than anything I could come up with. Give yourself a little more credit! :wink:
This one looks like nothing else out there as far as I can remember. Soon "they" will be copying this one too. :roll:
By sampson
that's a superb looking test object!

...though i guess the others are right about displacement issues with it.
By Maximus3D
I know what you're saying Thomas and i understand, however as Hervé said i don't think you fully understand exactly what you have created and the impact it had on pretty much every other renderengine out there today. Seeing this other pyramid thingy you built, it would still be useful for sss and glass materials so i think you could perhaps tweak it some more and then include it in the upcoming Maxwell release as a additional materialtest object. :)

/ Max
By hyltom
The simball is certainly the best tool to create consistent materials but as a product designer i always had some problem to calibrate the transparent as the thickness of the simball was not suitable for me. So i finally decide to make my own. My purpose was to stay as close as possible to the initial concept (keeping the calibration and the global shape) and just adding few thing that was useful for me. Also i wanted to make this one usefull only for product designer...by the way if some of you have some idea to improve it, your suggestion are welcome.

PS: My attend is just a personal work that has no other intention then helping me in my material creation :wink: .

Initial Simball made by Thomas

My attempt
By djflod
well i like it .... very reduced and appealing too .. where can i get it ? :mrgreen:
By hyltom
Update

Update

Finally, i think i' m pretty close to what i was looking for. As i'm use to the simball design by Thomas, my first constrain was to keep the general feeling. So I mainly modified the scale of the ball (60 mm diameter) and add some thickness that are suitable for product designer. I have also added a stripe bar for the reflectance 90 and another one inside the ball to control the transparency/blur. Then i have added a scale in order for me to control the size of the texture. I also wanted to have some larger flat area so it's why i have changed the base in this way. Finally i have increase the f-stop to 22 to get all the simball in focus.
By KurtS
I like it, - what does it look like with a displacement material?
By hyltom
it will look like craps :wink: ....it's not done to use with displacement material.
By ivox3
hyltom .. have you uploaded this Simball 2 anywhere?

What function does the straw provide?
By hyltom
ivox3 wrote:hyltom .. have you uploaded this Simball 2 anywhere?

What function does the straw provide?
At the moment, this Simball is only for my personal use. I don't want to put the mess anywhere so it will remain on my computer until i get the agreement from NL team and Thomas to share it.
The straw outside was added in order for me to have a better control of the reflectance 90. The one inside is to check the blurriness of the transparent.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]