Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By PA3K
Seghier, could You please make 2 pictures for left and right eye? I would like to see it side by side - 3d in my mobile phone with VR glasses. This holographic material should look in all its glory this way. Thanks. Patrik
By PA3K
Hi Seghier,
You can render 3D 360 SBS by setting camera to stereo cylindrical. Each image should have 2:1 horizontal:vertical resolution. You can then combine both images to one 3D 360 SBS with 4:1 hor:vert. If for example my mobile phone has resolution 2560x1440, and VR lenses have cca 100 degrees viewing angle, resolution of image for each eye should be 2560/2*3,6 horizontal x 2560/2*3,6/2 vertical = 4608x2304 (for left and the same for right). So final 3D SBS will be 9216x2304. If mobile phone sensors can rotate image in sub pixel degree, resolution should be twice as large (2 image pixels per one display pixel. Rendered 3D 360 cylindrical panorama has best 3d effect in horizontal line, so if you setup such render, main subject should be in front of camera in horizontal line, not more than 6m from the camera, because it is cca limit for human stereo vision (with eye distance 65 mm).
Holographic material should create image pattern in deeper space than is the real distance of the material surface. I think it is more about real micro (nano) geometry of the surface than about material itself. It can be simulated with material, but with displacement maps.
That is because I wanted to see it 3D...
Patrik
By Nasok
I'd love to see this in animation :) or maybe some tips on creating such ?
On top of my head - using R2 ? or to different layers with different r2 values both in additive mode to the base layer .. so that at one angle there is one layer visible and at another another. plus coating of course :)
It would be pretty straight forward to do it with nodes - where you can may a camera viewing angle to a texture or it's opacity / radius. but in layer editor - 🤔
By Nasok
That'd be cool. Especially if you could supply different texture maps for each group of angles. Or via texture map where white is one image and black is another image and great is a mix of two
🤓
Altho majority of holographic things have like a 2 states. one for each group of angles. Like a lenticular material assistant or Holographic material assistant - that would be super cool :)
By luis.hijarrubia
I ment that you can do that right now. A half dome hidden to everything but reflections with the textue you want. You set that above the holographic plane and a reflective layer on that material.
By seghier
I used two layers with two different coating , i lost the file if i find it i will share the material.
there are many ideas like using displacement but maxwell don't supoort many displacements at the same time
or using normal map , or a new feature : parallax bump will be cool and better than the actual bump with result similar to displacement
By Nasok
luis.hijarrubia wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:24 pm
I ment that you can do that right now. A half dome hidden to everything but reflections with the textue you want. You set that above the holographic plane and a reflective layer on that material.
but then 🤔 for the side view your reflections will go out of the plane ... since it's kinda flat. hmm altho it could be a very small (in depth) rounded shape like half dome ... with maybe inverted normals = so that it would appear that reflections are kinda deep inside the plane (like plane has a death or so .. you know those 3D post-cards 😁)

that's actually very interesting thing to experiment with. Ideally would be great to keep that on just material level so that it could be applied to all sorts of different objects.
seghier wrote:I used two layers with two different coating , i lost the file if i find it i will share the material.
there are many ideas like using displacement but maxwell don't supoort many displacements at the same time
or using normal map , or a new feature : parallax bump will be cool and better than the actual bump with result similar to displacement
Yeah - that's what I thought - sounds very logical .. could be a great material preset 😁
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]