Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Mihai
I'm starting on a series of metallic car paints, based on real car paint samples (Renault, VW, Ford, Peugeot etc.). This one is called Renault 926 "vert epicea". The sample shape is 20x10cm.

By Mihai
Thank you sirs, I think it looks now very close to the reference. I had a bunch of real speed shapes painted by a car paintshop, and I 3D scanned the speedshape so I could have the same shape to compare with, and same lighting conditions. Really makes it a lot easier...
By Mihai
Another test with the VW LA7N, otherwise known as "Limestone Grey" (almost certain that's the common name).

This one was a little tricky to get the color and tone right, it seems like it changes quite a bit depending on which environment it's in, as you can see in the photo references below. It has a definite brownish tint but as it has so many metal flakes, the environment it's in can take away quite a bit from the brown. I think Maxwell behaves nicely to show that :) Without a reference shape and controlled lighting in the real world to produce the reference photos, it would have been very very difficult I think...

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]