Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Mihai
I decided to finally take the time and create some "proper" leaf materials for Maxwell, with accurate normal maps, for both front and backface, and also translucency maps, again for both front and backface. Also a good translucent material approach that renders a lot faster for the front face, compared to a usual 1 translucent BSDF approach. Here are some tests so far. Even with this type of leaf that isn't very shiny, the normal maps make a huge difference (with shiny leafs it becomes even more important as it allows to realistically break up the reflections even when using very low polygon leafs). It takes a while to create each texture set but I think it's worth it. You feed Maxwell good maps and good geometry, it's going to treat you well :)

With normal map:

With a typical bump map derived from the difuse:

Another test:

Translucency front/backface:

So each leaf will have two sets of materials, for front and back face. If your existing tree geometry is one piece and you want to use also the backface material, you will have to separate out the leafs as a separate object. Currently the backface material can only be applied at the object level.
By Mihai
I was planning in a while to do a more advanced tutorial series that deals only with subsurface and thinSSS materials in Maxwell (leaves, marble, lamp shades, different plastics etc.), including a way to photograph both front/backface of leaves. I just need to finish these materials first and put them in the store on MZ :) The first batch will be around 5-6 different species, with about 5 different leaf texture sets for each species.
By paulo
yes for the advanced tutorials. make me open my wallet :)

saving up for your course on maxwellzone, is it euro dollars for the course?

reason is because here in Canada, the exchange rate is killing us, that's why i haven't ordered the training yet

Mihai wrote:I was planning in a while to do a more advanced tutorial series that deals only with subsurface and thinSSS materials in Maxwell (leaves, marble, lamp shades, different plastics etc.), including a way to photograph both front/backface of leaves. I just need to finish these materials first and put them in the store on MZ :) The first batch will be around 5-6 different species, with about 5 different leaf texture sets for each species.
By numerobis
Very nice! 8)
Is this based on your Vizpark material setup or a different approach? I recently purchased the Real Grass models because of your materials and i was a bit surprised about the setup and i have to say that the result is not always what i had expected but i have to investigate them further.
By Mihai
Yup, pretty much the same setup. I did a lot of testing with all sorts of lighting and it proved the fastest way, when viewing thinSSS objects from the front. It was a huge difference in noise level at the same SL. Can you show me some examples of what you mean?

Paulo, all the prices in the store are in USD.
By paulo
Sounds like a terrific course to learn in depth maxwell.

Thanks Mihai

Mihai wrote:Yup, pretty much the same setup. I did a lot of testing with all sorts of lighting and it proved the fastest way, when viewing thinSSS objects from the front. It was a huge difference in noise level at the same SL. Can you show me some examples of what you mean?

Paulo, all the prices in the store are in USD.
By Mihai
The first set is up now:

http://www.maxwellzone.com/shop/grape-vine-leaves/

Btw, those who purchased the Basics & Beyond course automatically get a 15% lifetime discount on all future products on MZ :) This includes only original products, meaning not those sold by third party vendors since they decide themselves which, if any, discounts they want to give.
By paulo
it comes with a sample scene?

thanks
Paul
Mihai wrote:The first set is up now:

http://www.maxwellzone.com/shop/grape-vine-leaves/

Btw, those who purchased the Basics & Beyond course automatically get a 15% lifetime discount on all future products on MZ :) This includes only original products, meaning not those sold by third party vendors since they decide themselves which, if any, discounts they want to give.
By paulo
i have none ... so if i make a box with two sides

i apply the back face mxm to a side and the front mxm to the other side of the box,

do i need to uv them? is there a mask to apply?

anyway thanks i look into when i get a chance

the vase i got from vizpark had geometry btw

UPDATE

sort of figured out how to apply the textures, quick modeling job (supper time here and the gf is annoyed :) and trying the mxm textures, quick scene just to test out

Thanks Mihai, keep these great textures coming

Mihai wrote:Well no, just apply the materials to any vegetation geometry you already have.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]