Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Mihai
Increase your attenuation distance to something like 30cm as a start. Grapes are water and....stuff, so light will travel through it a lot more than just 1 cm. Lower a lot the saturation of the SSS and decrease its coefficient, it looks like the grapes are much too solid looking. Better yet try the Translucent material assistant and judge using the SSS and smallSSS preview scenes. This assistant makes it easier to create SSS materials. There is also a detailed docs page about it:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mx ... +assistant
By paulo
Thanks for the help and tips Mihai

I will keep working at it and finish reading that manual :)

Mihai wrote:Increase your attenuation distance to something like 30cm as a start. Grapes are water and....stuff, so light will travel through it a lot more than just 1 cm. Lower a lot the saturation of the SSS and decrease its coefficient, it looks like the grapes are much too solid looking. Better yet try the Translucent material assistant and judge using the SSS and smallSSS preview scenes. This assistant makes it easier to create SSS materials. There is also a detailed docs page about it:

http://support.nextlimit.com/display/mx ... +assistant
By eric nixon

Water drops from normal maps/s. 2nd map is a flipped version of the first, used to describe that the surface of the drops touching the object are not flush to it.

Water drops modelled (using C4D cloner) and setup in maxwell with nested priority. (grapes don't use sss, but thats another story)
By paulo
Thank you Eric for the tips and info

That's some awesome grapes you create there

I figure out how to do the drops in modo with either applying textures or blobs techniques, either way has its pro and cons

nested with priority? i do need to read that entire manual this weekend cause have no clue what that means :)

"grapes don't use sss, but thats another story" ... do tell, i want to know :) i would like to fix my grapes problem

Water drops from normal maps/s. 2nd map is a flipped version of the first, used to describe that the surface of the drops touching the object are not flush to it.

Water drops modelled (using C4D cloner) and setup in maxwell with nested priority. (grapes don't use sss, but thats another story)[/quote]
By eric nixon
Here is the thread with the grapes wip.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... s&start=45

But the thing is, I'm not sure if this setup for 'light grapes' is physically correct, and I dont think a correct solution is possible without a skin shader, kind of hoping that will turn up one day, then I'll give the 'light grapes' another try.

The main point is that the look of the grapes, comes more from refractions within the internal structure of the grape, than it does from sss, however for darker grapes, a little sss will work fine as there isn't much refraction adding to their look.

If your new to maxwell I would avoid grapes for now.
By paulo
Best way to learn is to crash head first into a wall :)

Learning a lot just replicating the tips found on these threads

i'm heading to the other thread now, thanks for the tips

eric nixon wrote:Here is the thread with the grapes wip.

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... s&start=45

But the thing is, I'm not sure if this setup for 'light grapes' is physically correct, and I dont think a correct solution is possible without a skin shader, kind of hoping that will turn up one day, then I'll give the 'light grapes' another try.

The main point is that the look of the grapes, comes more from refractions within the internal structure of the grape, than it does from sss, however for darker grapes, a little sss will work fine as there isn't much refraction adding to their look.

If your new to maxwell I would avoid grapes for now.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]