Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
i like the chair but never use it because I feel the same ;) none of my clients ever had it in a scene but nice to check leather settings.

the lapalma lem should be banned forever in archviz ;D
Yeah, Archviz has become really repetitive and boring these days. I don't even look at it anymore.
Top recipe for mediocrity: Trees from Mentor Plants+HDRI from Guthri+Chairs and materials from Benoit+ Multiscatter+Marvelous Designer+V-Ray+lots of chromatic aberration, cross processing and heavy vignetting and don't forget to copy an existing project -ideally one that has been done a dozen times before- and call it "homage" or "tribute". Done ;)
Sorry for highjacking this thread shen.de, please continue!

Ben
Tora_2097 wrote:Yeah, Archviz has become really repetitive and boring these days. I don't even look at it anymore.
Top recipe for mediocrity: Trees from Mentor Plants+HDRI from Guthri+Chairs and materials from Benoit+ Multiscatter+Marvelous Designer+V-Ray+lots of chromatic aberration, cross processing and heavy vignetting and don't forget to copy an existing project -ideally one that has been done a dozen times before- and call it "homage" or "tribute". Done ;)

Ben
no problem ... I agree on everything what you just said :) but sometimes you gotta go for the cash not for your personal pleasure ^^

P.S. I laughed hard at marvelous design + vray ... facebook 3d groups are flooded with that
Tora_2097 wrote:Yeah, Archviz has become really repetitive and boring these days. I don't even look at it anymore.

Ben
So true!! I'm sick of that too. There is no need for lots of objects for composing a nice scene. People keep forgetting about those Mies' magic words, less is more. What matters is space and light.

A few examples of what I consider good architecture photography

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319333429798191436/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319333429798273919/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319333429800653455/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319333429798235360/
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/319333429798124993/

Ben
This is exactly the point.

The orange juice setup is great.Did you setup a skydome as the background?
no. just area lights... I set it up as I would in real life.

two softboxes on the right to makes the reflections a bit softer towards the edges. a thin filllight from left to highlight the juice and finally a spot in the background aiming on the wall for the slight gradient.

the softboxes where made with b/w gradients in photoshop and then saved as mxi to serve as lightsource.

I can post a screen when I'm home...

cheers
hatts wrote:
Tora_2097 wrote:...Marvelous Designer+V-Ray+lots of chromatic aberration, cross processing and heavy vignetting
Sometimes it's hard to argue with that recipe when the results look like this:

in my eyes the chromatic abberation is too strong here. and with that dof I would like to see more halo around the windows...

actually that piece just focuses around the marvelous design blanket and fur rug... it's just effect gathering but no real handcraft.
that's what tora is talking about. it's evenly lit and the dof takes away details. when you can't make a scene like this look real you're maybe wrong in the business :D
I think this image is a personal test to be fair, and part of a set ofcourse, and also one of the better artists in this vein. This style of heavy postwork was popularised by the Ronen/Benoit/guthrie/evermotion etc, as a practical solution, when the raw renders look so dull. Vray/corona/arnold etc. can produce some pretty dull renders so they bleach the hell out of them, add heavy dof, abberation etc. Its a style based around convenience, which removes most of the play-of-light, and because its become a standard formulaic style which is easy to copy, the resulting images are very derivative.

Vray3 image by Benoit

CG'ing existing spaces (most of these type of images are worked up from existing reference spaces) is fair enough as a learning excercise, but I dont see the need to mimic the postwork of others, or for there to be any standard CG style.

I think this look is an internet driven craze, there are lots of interent phenomenon/fashions which make me scratch my head, like fixie bikes for instance (they are a deathtrap).

IMO CG for most residential interiors isnt needed, It makes much more sense for larger more important spaces like art-galleries or swish office lobbies, something where the space&light of the architecture are the main focus.
I agree with Matthew, but there are good points raised on both sides.

You may or may not like the style portrayed in that shot, but to say that there is something "wrong" with it because it is stylized is missing the point, and if other people think that the reason that Alex Roman, or Guthrie, or Benoit (or people like them) produce such good images is *because* of post work then they are mistaken. That is only a part of it. Their images convey mood, and tell stories, and the stylization is just a tool to that end. They communicate, not simply document.

There may be some technical afficionados that do not like images just because they are stylized, but that is not who most images are created for. For most of us, very few images that are not stylized appear very interesting anymore.

That is partly because of what we are all so used to seeing in photography, movies... everywhere really, so "raw renders" simply do not compete well enough for people's attention. But it is not *just* that we are simply used to stylized shots: it is also because "raw" images tend to look rather soulless, lack mood, and fail to tell much of a story by comparison.

All that said, you cannot simply stylize a crap image and expect it to be good - which is what a lot of people do and where much of the derivative junk comes from/ends up, which is probably what some people tend to mean when they slam images for being stylized.

That's my POV anyway.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]