Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By vizport
I'm testing several leaf materials out and see how they work and look. For reference I use a big plane tree in summer condition with HD leafs standing right here in dresden. The model is still WIP and ~18 million polys. Some unwanted clumping still to be fixed. The triple layer solution seems to be the best so far. I like the reflection and the backface looks also very suitable.With the single layer setup the reflections are off.
All renders with backface materials applied and I used 3 different leaf textures. So 6 leaf mats in total. Renders have been fixed with a linear contrast and are srgb.
I'm testing a smaller version of that species tomorrow. We will see how that looks. I will produce autumn textures this week so we can see how the materials behave in other conditions. Additionally I need to fix the bark textures to a darker one. It's using a brighter texture with bigger "cells" taken from another plane tree not far away. I created a giant 45.000px x 1200px base texture for that. No excuses!

Lighting setup: ISO 64 / Shutter 250 / F3.5 SUN 6500K @ 1.3 / Sky default V3 sky @ 0.2

Tree with simple 1 layer subsurface material applied

Tree with simple 3 layer subsurface material applied

Reference tree in dresden

By vizport
@hatts render times are exactly the same 1000px square is 200 benchmark on the same machine. It seems it doesn't matter if there are more layers in this case.Which is pretty cool. :D

In comparison to the original tree image single layer is too saturated to me. However, although I use 3D folded leafs the reflection is not correct for SL solution. But in the material editor they are very shiny - strange! Maybe the scatter is taking them off. I will try with HDRI next.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]