Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By MikeT
Hi Everyone,
Here is a WIP of an airplane I’m modeling. I’m just getting started with Maxwell so lots of “learning curve” to go.

Comments welcomed!

Mike
Last edited by MikeT on Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
By MikeT
I’m using Alias for the modeling. The model still needs work – the canopy is black because there is no interior :) Also, need to try motion blur to add propeller blur.
By MikeT

In the airplane render, I used the free HDRI-Locations spherical HDR associated with the above backplate. With smoother paint and longer render times, the road and the grass show up as reflections on the side of the plane. So obviously, the HDR environment is wrong for a plane in-flight.

Ideally, I would use a spherical HDR that was somehow created from in-flight photos but I haven't found any yet at various HDR vendors. I was thinking it might be possible to simulate an in-flight sky spherical HDR by trimming a ground based HDR at the horizon line and then copying/flipping the sky and using it in place of the ground as the lower half of the sphere. I'm not sure how to do it or if it would even work! Does anyone have some ideas on how to do this or if it would even work?

Thanks,
Mike
By eric nixon
Search for 'guilford grammar aerial', but you will need to desaturate and adjust the gamma + tiny blur to improve its dynamic range (fairly low)
By MikeT
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the info/link above. Feeling kind of dumb on this... I don't think I searched for "aerial" spherical HDRs! I did find some HDRs and other info that will help.
Mike
By MikeT
Had to stop working on this for a while... finally getting back to it.

I'm playing around with the learning edition of Real Flow and trying to make clouds with particle files. Having some luck but need to experiment some more. Hopefully will have some test renders soon.

Here are some links to some aerial hdrs - a YouTube video titled "Free Over the Clouds 360 Degree HDRI Environment Map - Hemispherical sky" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0FuZTNksoQ - see text under video for links and http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/discu ... =9&t=34951 - see the last forum entry for link.

Mike
By MikeT

Hi All,
Making some progress on this model. Added transparent canopy, pilot and propeller motion blur. I'm ok with the results so far but there is lots of room for improvement. In terms of the "crawl, walk, run" phases, I think I'm just starting to crawl! I want to add some decals - some stripes and an N registration number. Not sure how to do decals so I'll have to do a little research/study on them. Also, still need to work on the reflections on the fuselage. What do you guys think?
Mike
By MikeT
Thanks Brian!
I'm still working on this but having some troubles with decals/labels. I'm learning about UV texture maps, the UV texture editor etc. and making some progress. Also, I'm bringing Alias NURB surfaces into Maya and there has been some learning here as well. Unfortunately, I only get to work on this on weekends so progress can be painfully slow. Should have some updates in a few more weekends!
Mike
By eric nixon
You can use material channels (assuming your workflow allows that) for decals, not uv's. Or in the case of something more square, with many many decals you can paint them in PS in one map (for each side) and project with flat mapping at a diagonal angle to avoid mapping both sides.

If the mesh is being deformed the mapping can be 'stuck' to it with most 3d packages.
By MikeT
Thanks Eric!
I'm not sure about the material channel but I'll check into it. When you say "project with flat mapping" are you talking about image projection using an emitter? I haven't tried that yet but it looks interesting. Had some more trouble with importing and converting NURBS surfaces to polygons... I think I need to go back to some simple, basic shapes and work my way forward.
Mike
By eric nixon
are you talking about image projection using an emitter?
No, flat mapping is just the default method for mapping. Mapping at an angle prevents the map 'hitting' the back of your object, for example, if you were mapping a box from the front, and you dont want that map to show up on the back.

Re, conversion, I use solidworks and save out in VRML (wrl) format. But if you can avoid working with NURBS to start with, life will be easier, subdiv modelling is much more flexible approach for making images. (sorry just stating the obvious)
By MikeT
Ok, I think I understand about the mapping.

Yeah, the NURBS to polygons is giving me some troubles. I using NURBS surfaces because I want to learn about what the automotive guys call Class A surface modeling. I'm getting more comfortable with Maya so will eventually give the polygon modeling a try.
Mike
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]