Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
eric nixon wrote:Wow thats interesting, Is that info documented somewhere? it should be.
You're right, we will add it to the manual.
eric nixon wrote:Is it correct that Thin-sss fails within an additive setup even if only one layer is thin-sss?
Not exactly. It depends on which layer is additive... An additive layer cannot contain anything transmissive (dielectric, sss, thin sss...) So, you can make specular layers additively on a thin sss layer.
Great news/info thanks. :)
An additive layer cannot contain anything transmissive
Sorry to be pedantic, but I just wanted to make sure; Can you use additive transmissive layer/s if the total weight of all layers is 100 or less? Like a material built with a black base layer, and some low-weight additive transmissive layers on top?
Ah yes indeed, my question was conceptually flawed - a material with two layers of transmission overlaid, makes little sense to begin with.

Anyhow regarding thin-sss, I tested that with an additive opaque diffuse layer and I got noise?
eric nixon wrote:Anyhow regarding thin-sss, I tested that with an additive opaque diffuse layer and I got noise?
You got noise? Yes, it's quite normal because, adding diffuse it more costy. You simply have to render it more until it's acceptable. It may not come out perfect, because you crank up reflectance to very high levels even if it's not beyond 100%. It's the same with noisy renders using bright white walls.

Rough 0 additive on your glass example fails because adding on transmissive layers is not working perfectly. This is known and we already suggest using additives for controlling speculars intuitively on opaque surfaces. If you need 2 different level roughness on a red glass, you might blend 2 BSDF with higher Nd and reflectance each as they would be normalized to 100 weight.
NicoR44 wrote:I started from scratch again with this build, but this time I have access to a real studio Eagle transporter!
Well here we are a year and a half later and my own rite of passage has begun :-)
I'm using Daniel Prud'homme's blueprints and whatever photos I can scrounge on the Internet. The thing that really spurred my on to get back into this project was the prospect of getting the Eagle Transporter into Virtual Reality via the Unity game engine and the HTC Vive headset.

Here's a WIP image:

And here's a distorted view from the Vive headset:

Seeing this model in 1:1 virtual glory is amazing, I definitely recommend getting into Unity and VR in general :-)

Cheers,
Andrew.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]