Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Homer
Hi Everyone,

Long time observer first time poster.
Current set-up is Sketchup 7 straight into Maxwell 2.6 and here's my latest set of images for C&C.
Can never seem to get the realism of some of the pro users on this forum so was wondering if anyone's got any tips to get better results.

Thanks

Homer

By Bubbaloo
It's a good start!

A few things I notice:
It looks like you may have applied a real refracting glass material onto single face glass panels. You're getting some weird stuff happening there.
The displacement on the gravel looks too high, and it's probably slowing down your render quite a bit.
Some of the textures are too small and repetitive.
The car isn't detailed enough to be shown so close up.
You should make a soldier course brick texture so you don't show the extra grout on those parts.
By Homer
Hi Bubbaloo,

Thanks for comments.

Windows are always a problem - any tips on the best way of not showing the unmodelled interior? I've tried using the vivid AGS from the MXM material library but it never seems to appear in the renders?
I know the car is a bit rough and the owners of this place probably wouldn't have a VW Golf anyway! Think I'll leave it off the next run altogether.
Render times weren't too bad (8 hours for the three attached over night) but completely agree that the displacement on the gravel is way too high. I've sorted some of the other texturing issues as you've mentioned and will post the result when they've finished baking!
Anyone got a good starting point for post-production techniques/programs out there? Never been asked to get into this sort of thing before but it seems to be the only way to add that “professional touch”!

Thanks again to anyone with any advice.

Homer
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]