Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Tok_Tok
Hi,

Oke I'm doing this watch design and want the casings metal to be brushed stainles steel. I've applied the bump map the way the brushed metal to look but then I get these squares
on the highlighted area's. I've seen this problem before and it's hard to get rid of this effect for any render engine, if I remember correctly. But is there a way to reduce this effect or maybe
a workaround?

Thank you!

Btw it's not finished yet, C&C are welcome :)
By Chris Krüger
What about adjusting the smoothing angle of the faces which the material is assigned to, would it help?
Does it change anything if you use a normal map instead? You still get the faceted look?

Cheers,

Chris
By Tok_Tok
Oke I've set the texture with less tiling but no improvement.. also I checked the normal direction and smoothing angle and it all seems to be fine. (it's a flat surface)
I can't go any lower with the tiling because this already isn't looking like brushed stainless steel anymore :(

Btw the "handles" on the top and bottom of the watch are the same material as the casing, also with very high tiling but it doesn't show squares..

Any other suggestions?
By choo-chee
yeah - make each arc of the main circle from 10 arcs. it's a bit irritating but you'll have a very smooth circle.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]