Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By Half Life
I did a quick clay override test to show the color casts of the lighting.
claytest.jpg
The thing about florescent lighting is that there is no good Kelvin setting to simulate it because it is missing some wavelengths, which is why it always has such an unnatural feeling no matter what color temperature they print on the box... and actually there is not a really perfect way to mimic that CRI deficiency in Maxwell at all.

Best.
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By gtalarico
Cool. I never thought about doing clay renderings to see the color casts... :wink:
I will PM you the packaged scene again.
there is not a really perfect way to mimic that CRI deficiency in Maxwell
I googled "CRI deficiency" and the first result was "Chronic Renal Insufficiency".
I am going to assume that is not what you were talking about.... :lol:
Last edited by gtalarico on Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Half Life
Here's a test render of the file after I adjusted the materials:
draft_rendered.jpg
I PMed you the updated file -- I did not adjust any geometry or UV mapping/Material tiling, which could probably use some tweaks as well... however at some point you get to the place of diminishing returns.

And here's a screen grab showing the multilight exposure and emitter setting I would suggest (you could just set those in studio and avoid multilight for faster renders):
screengrab.jpg
Best,
Jason.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By gtalarico
Thank you so much Jason.
It is people like you (and Bubbaloo!) that makes being part of the Maxwell community such a pleasure.

I will post finals by end of the week!

PS: how do you attach images to this forum? I have been using imgur....
By Half Life
I saw your question in the other forum and decided to answer here.

With Multilight you can set up the emitter material any way you want to -- however ideally it is set up by material over sq meters... for example if you want to create a 120w emitter you would set up a 120w emitter material and apply it to appropriately sized geometry. However if you want two 120w fixtures you would want to double the power of the material because the sq meters the material is applied to has doubled.

I roughly counted your fixtures (and guessing a bit since I was too lazy to open the MXS file) and set Multilight values accordingly in this screengrab:
screengrab2.jpg
BTW I'm not really crazy about that last slider, I'm not sure it doesn't do more harm than good -- I think it flattens your foreground a bit too much.

Also, I did mean to mention before that Simulens effects can be a really good way to slightly jazz up a render that needs a bit of a spark (as I show here)... I tend to work with a light hand, but post processing can add alot of punch as well.
draft_rendered2.jpg
Best,
Jason.
By zdeno
gtalarico - if it is possible please send me PM with this scene too. if it is possible. I think there is something wrong with energy balance between materials. especialy white metal.
By zdeno
no , still on 1.7.1 but for some tests have demo 2.5 ;) small without net render but still fun, and this all FIRE thing , pure beauty

I am waiting to be betatester ;) maybe then I will get one license free.
By Half Life
If used incorrectly (which is easy to do) additive blending can easily become a noisemaker -- if you know what you are doing it will be fine but even some of the wizard materials can be a problem if you use additive blending with a high value or high saturation colors. It can also be an issue if you have additive blending over a metallic/reflective base.

Generally my rule is to avoid materials brighter than 225,225,225 RGB (reflectance 0) -- If you use additive layer for specular effects (which is it's main function) set the reflectance colors to 0,0,0 RGB then set the Nd for a realistic value with Force Fresnel checked (I don't see Force Fresnel used nearly enough when looking at materials other people share with me, which is a shame).

I see alot of materials that are designed with the way Maxwell worked in 1.X but those old rules really don't apply anymore... and tends to give dull or overly shiny results that are hard to manipulate. V2 was a big improvement for material designing -- especially the inclusion of Force Fresnel, global bump and layers.

Best,
Jason.
By numerobis
i have done some testing with different percentages of additive blending and with normal blending and for me additive blending always produced more noise on the assigned faces. I'm trying to avoid additive blending completely now... it's not possible with all materials but mostly.
but maybe i'm doing something wrong...
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]