Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By djflod
rusteberg wrote:
Half Life wrote:Yep it is Sketchup
i don't believe you..... maybe the tutorial will prove me otherwise :)
plus 1 :mrgreen:
By Half Life
Thank-you :D

I did use several free ruby plugins for this: Curviloft, BezierSpline, and RoundCorner mostly.

Here's the legs with feet -- I had some cooler looking feet made that were a bit more faithful to the design but they could not achieve the articulation I wanted so I took some liberties to make them a bit more functional for moving. I may still do some tweaking but at this point I could consider them done...

I've rigged the legs to get them ready to do a bit of DC animation based posing functionality (just like I built into the arms). This will allow me to "pose" each leg individually with just a click -- a very handy thing when you have a army of these guys :wink:

Best,
Jason.
By Polyxo
Half Life wrote: I did use several free ruby plugins for this: Curviloft, BezierSpline, and RoundCorner mostly.
I also had a hard time to believe this is Sketchup. Do these Plugins require the commercial version (I guess so)?

Thanks, Holger
By Half Life
Nope, the plugins I mentioned work fine on the free version, although I did extensively use the "solid" tools that are native only to the new "pro" version (Sketchup Pro 8 )-- just boolean functions basically, but it certainly is past due for them to be in Sketchup.

Sketchup can be a capable hard surface modeler -- it has it's quirks but for modeling non-organics it can be good (with some plugins of course)... I wouldn't recommend it if you need to do any decent animation or complex UV mapping though.

I think Sketchup gets a bad rep because it attracts newbies (since it's free) -- and generally they don't do such good work :lol: There are definately a few hard-core modelers doing very solid work in Sketchup, you just have to look for them :wink:

I will say that Maxwell Studio is a must for me because, while Sketchup can model very nicely, it does not handle complex scenes and heavy geometry very gracefully... so I use Studio to composite my Sketchup models with sculpts from Z-Brush into scenes.

Best,
Jason.
By Polyxo
Thanks Jason,
that's interesting to know. I'm not about to convert as I have a capable Surface Modeler myself (Rhino) but these plugins might at some point be handy when meshes are required.
About Sketchup's limitations: It's mostly up to the person who has the tool in hands - as basically always and anywhere...
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]