Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By rusteberg
since this has been a personal challenge, thought i'd share one of a few current projects here that i'm working on. there are no drawings for this from architect apart from base plan dwg that was sent per internal field verification. was asked to reconstruct a few buildings based solely on current site conditions based on photographs. architects are proposing new courtyard (removing overgrown greenery to expose facades)..... all i've had to go by are site photographs similar to this.

process of figuring out dimensions based on counting bricks....

initial clay renders based on brick counting for dimensions

Then, architects managed to find archived drawings for church bldg..... after i was halfway through modelling it

so scale check was in order, which also allowed me to figure out what was going on in areas unseen per photographs.

clay renderings after scale verification:

Followed by initial materal runs...

IBL:

Sun: (some materials need tweakage....)

hopefully i can pull off modelling a new set of trees for this in time for deadline. however, if anyone knows of a good source for live oaks (trees), then please let me know....
By itsallgoode9
superb work!! I can't help but notice the lack of noticeable repetition in the brick texture, unless you look very close...how did you go about doing that? Bricks are pretty hard to get rid of repetition since they are so patterned..I feel like I remember seeing another project of yours with really good bricks like this. I've done a lot of work with brick textures in the past and it's been very hard to get a really good non tiling texture without the use of grime/dirt without taking out the brick variation down to point where they look like crappy cg bricks.

great job!
By djflod
amazing as always :!:

the modeling is :shock:
By rusteberg
thanks everyone :)
itsallgoode9 wrote:superb work!! I can't help but notice the lack of noticeable repetition in the brick texture, unless you look very close...how did you go about doing that? Bricks are pretty hard to get rid of repetition since they are so patterned..I feel like I remember seeing another project of yours with really good bricks like this. I've done a lot of work with brick textures in the past and it's been very hard to get a really good non tiling texture without the use of grime/dirt without taking out the brick variation down to point where they look like crappy cg bricks.
thanks justin, i use PixPlant to generate tilable textures... works well with brick:

Bubbaloo wrote:(Onyx trees are great.)
brian, do you use the onyx tree generating applications? if so, how well does it work? thinking about investing in the bundle they have... until then, i created the live oaks from a couple of xfrog trees i have.

took trunk from one tree, reshaped it, then used another, smaller version of tree to paint (randomize using Advanced Painter) onto larger tree

then tweaked instances using soft selection

new tree to match closer to existing trees :)

By Bubbaloo
Tom, I don't use the Max plugin for Onyx. I think I was having problems with it a while back and just got used to making my trees in the Onyx program and exporting out as OBJ. I like the control Onyx gives you over detail levels, poly counts, leaf shapes and subdivisions, etc.. Have you tried a demo yet?
By rusteberg
do they have a demo? i was on there the other day and didn't see one available.
would love to give it a spin before dropping a few Benjamins
By rusteberg
no brian, not all software has a demo mode..... wives are the only universal applications that have demo modes...... of course once you purchase, it's non refundable :P
By m-Que
Those cutout trees in the buttom left corner really spoil that great picture.
Gotta fix the alpha map of those.
Also there's something wrong with DOF in that same spot; did you add those trees in post?
By rusteberg
the really dark bushes at lower left? added them to cut down on too much exposed road, plus i blurred the shit out of a lot of perimeter stuff.
thanks for pointing that out..... i'll re evaluate that.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]