Not there yet? Post your work in progress here to receive feedback from the users.
By kami
the reference photo you posted shows some interesting details, which are different in your images.
1 - the horizon line is straight. that's always true, unless you are very close to the water surface and the waves are very high. the first image is better on that matter
2 - the sea in the background seems more blue and brighter due to particles in the atmosphere, it's like having a gradient applied

besides those two details, the water really looks great. thanks a lot for sharing.
By RonB
Hi Louis,

Looking for your sea foam material...nothing on the MXM Gallery site under Paul80...is that the material data base you mention?

Thanks much, Ron
By RonB
Great Thanks guys!
By def4d
great work, thanks for sharing!
By zak
Hi

Could you give us an indication of the mapsize you use ?
And how "high" have you made your waves in the model ?

Otherwise, the best looking water so far ! :D
By JesperW
I know this topic is ancient, but anyway, someone might find it in a search and get something useful out of this post...

Yesterday I was a bit bored and decided to update some old applications that I haven't used for many years to see if there were any fun improvements.
One thing I used to work a lot with was generating a good open sea environment. As it turns out, I was able to quickly improve quite a bit on the results from a few years ago.

Here is a render (the helicopter was the first random .obj I found on the Internet jut to have something in the scene).
Otherwise this scene has a large plane with the standard water material and a displacement map. 20 meters below is a same size dark blue plane.
It is lit by a Background HDRI at intensity 1.0 and all other IBL channels = background. In other words, there was no tweaking of any parameters on lighting or material to achieve this, it's all about having good maps to start with.

The IBL image is 5000x2500 pixel, with a strong sun intensity for good shadows: http://journeyman.se/images/GreatClouds.hdr.7z

The wave map is 1500x1500 pixel and has two different sized fractal wave patterns running across it at angles: http://journeyman.se/images/wave03.tif.7z
By RobMitchell
Thanks for sharing, Jesper. Fantastic image. It was fun to look through this old topic again too. Is it bad I can remember pretty clearly when this was originally posted? :p
By bograt
I think the last map posted is good but personally I would apply and extra bump map with much smaller scale waves to create the observed roughness of capillary waves, I would use a 2 layers with varying scale and a noise transparency map to blend the two layers, this would prevent repetition.... Also you could use the displacement map as a transparency map to to simulate how the peaks of the waves have more of the roughness capillary effect...
By JesperW
bograt wrote:By the way JesperW, what program did you use to make the waves?
Genetica. Sky is from Terragen.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]