By fuso
Hi everyone,

Some of you might have seen that I just posted this as a reply on the general forum. Well I thought it might as well be
worth posting it here.

I really think QTVR export should be a function we should be able to use from within any platform/plugin as well as
inside Studio. With quite an effort I managed to work around it, so here it goes...

First, I am using 3dsMax 2009 with Maxwell 1.7.1. For creating QTVR's I'm using the Cebas maxVR.qt 2.0 plugin.
http://www.cebas.com/products/products. ... -788&PID=9
I am not sure if it would work in the same way with the built-in 3dsMax panorama exporter.

In your 3d viewport you have to choose the camera which you want to use for the QTVR. In the 3dsMax render
settings I had to disable all forms of output (image, mxs and mxi) in order to prevent having a file exported and 6 times
overwritten straight away. More importantly, you'll have to set the vignetting value to 0, otherwise you'll see the
seams of the 6 rendered views after they've been stiched together. I suggest a few test renders as I find it difficult to
edit a QTVR in post production.

When you hit 'render active' the plugin will automatically export 6 mxs files which will start rendering immediately and
simultaneously (make sure there are enough linceses and you have a strong box under your desk)! Actually when you
stop all the 6 render views one by one 3dsMax intends to crash because the plugin cannot complete writing the final
QuickTime QTVR movie (I guess even if you'd let them finish to render).

Those 6 mxs files are normally named in chronological order and will be saved in your local temporary folder. From there
you can move, edit and rename them as you wish. Conveniently you can edit each of the 6 mxs as to change
resolution (keep it square), target sampling level, etc. Just be aware of all the output paths when you load them in a
queue to re-render.

Suggestion:
1. QTVR-entrance_0.mxs > QTVR-entrance_0.mxi > QTVR-entrance_0.tif
6. QTVR-entrance_5.mxs > QTVR-entrance_5.mxi > QTVR-entrance_5.tif

I'm suggesting this because if you use the free version of this image stitching software, you would have a straight
forward workflow. http://www.pano2qtvr.com/

Unfortunately it's all a bit manual work and slightly annoying but at the end it did work for me, looked rather nice and
was well worth the effort. I hope this was helpful or inspired the one or the other for even more adventurous ways of
doing this. Hopefully we'll see that function in Maxwell 2.0! (all fingers and legs crossed)

All the best of luck. Cheers,

Jost
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]