By Bubbaloo
If you are using Max 2009, it doesn't work. Only for previous versions and you have to be using Direct3D driver. Correct me if I'm wrong, Bogdan.
By Mihnea Balta
It works in Max 2009. It doesn't work in VIZ (which is now called Max Design) because Autodesk took out the viewport shader support from VIZ. We have found a different way of implementing it which will work in VIZ too, we'll do it for a future update.
By Bogdan Coroi
What is the "sky Preview" in the general settings panel?
It's the check that enables viewport preview for both Physical Sky and Image Based Environment. Due to the reason Mihnea explained above, it will only work on native Max versions for now.
By Bubbaloo
Max 2009 and Max Design 2009 are the same program, one with SDK, one with light analysis tools. Those are the only differences. There is no more Viz. I would like to know if sky preview has worked for anyone with Max 2009.
By Mihnea Balta
They're not the same program, small things are missing from Design. One of them is support for viewport shaders. Make a standard material and look for a "DirectX Manager" rollup in the material editor. Max 2009 has the rollup, Design doesn't.

The feature works with the full version of 2009, as can be seen in this picture:

I've included the wonderfully useless but annoying SteeringWheels™ to show that it's 2009. :)
By Bubbaloo
Ok, I have installed Max 2009 and am using Direct 3D driver and checked Sky Preview box, but no sky in viewport. Do I have to do anything else to see it?
By Mihnea Balta
The viewport should be in shaded mode, not wireframe. Just to double check that the installation went well, do you see the "DirectX Manager" rollup in the material editor now? Oh, and make sure you're using the DX9 driver if you're on Vista, the feature doesn't work with the DX10 driver.
By Bubbaloo
Hmmm, no DirectX Manager rollup...
I completely uninstalled Max Design and deleted the Folder from explorer, then installed Max 2009. Any suggestions?
By Bogdan Coroi
If you don't have DirectX manager after installing Max2009 it means you didn't install Max 2009. :)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]