By Bubbaloo
I have tried many different ways to get motion blur to work with a RF mesh through the Maxwell plugin for Max. Has anyone done this yet? I have posted my question on the RF forum with no solutions yet.

Anytime I check the global motion blur box in the plugin, I get this message:
Motion Blur Warning: Mesh "MeshLoader01" has different number of vertices for different motion blur steps.
Motion blur disabled for this mesh.
Makes sense, but why is there a seperate motion blur setting in the RF Mesh proprties? Help!
By Bogdan Coroi
Maxwell doesn't treat RF's MeshLoader object as a known object. It simply tries to do motion blur on it. That means it must respect its way of dealing with motion blur, and that's done by "shifting" the geometry in a linear way on the time line. Because of this, the mesh should have the same number of vertices for both motion blur steps.

MeshLoader's motion blur settings work with renderers that do motion blur in image space as a post process step. This way is not dependent on geometry at all, it simply applies a kernel filter on the resulting image.

At the moment, the only way of using motion blur with MeshLoader and Maxwell, is to maintain a constant number of particles between two adjacent frames. That means, no new particles emitted and/or no particles should die. This way you'll have constant number of vertices when exporting the mesh from RealFlow.

However, in the future, Maxwell and MeshLoader object might become friends. :)
By sidenimjay
houdini's chops can handle dying particles and track them based on a unique id,... subtracting current and next frames point positions, velocities can be generated for each point on the surface, unfortunately it can be very slow if there are alot of particles or points

however, most particles systems already have velocity for the particles

when bringing in realflow particles into houdini you can mesh them with the new particle mesher in houdini and automatically transfer the averaged particle velocities to the mesh ...these velocities can also be adjusted to suit the needs of the shot

houdinis maxwell exporter can handle velocity motion blur as well as transformation and deformation blur in an animation or still frame

if you are stuck you could try that route.....
By Bubbaloo
At the moment, the only way of using motion blur with MeshLoader and Maxwell, is to maintain a constant number of particles between two adjacent frames. That means, no new particles emitted and/or no particles should die. This way you'll have constant number of vertices when exporting the mesh from RealFlow.
Ok, I will try to maintain a constant vert count on the mesh between frames at the point of rendering and see if that works.
However, in the future, Maxwell and MeshLoader object might become friends. :)
I patiently await the future... :wink:
By Bubbaloo
sidenimjay wrote:houdini's chops can handle dying particles and track them based on a unique id,... subtracting current and next frames point positions, velocities can be generated for each point on the surface, unfortunately it can be very slow if there are alot of particles or points

however, most particles systems already have velocity for the particles

when bringing in realflow particles into houdini you can mesh them with the new particle mesher in houdini and automatically transfer the averaged particle velocities to the mesh ...these velocities can also be adjusted to suit the needs of the shot

houdinis maxwell exporter can handle velocity motion blur as well as transformation and deformation blur in an animation or still frame

if you are stuck you could try that route.....
Thanks for the helpful advice! I will look into it.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Although i’ve been happily rendering away in[…]

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]