By Renato Lemus
Hi: I'm trying to animate a camera inside 3dsmax8 with a good amount of DOF focusing a sphere, and then, my camera target jumps to another subject, very far from the first one. The problem is that, when rendering the whole sequence, the camera movements render fine, but the first subject stays in focus all the time, not giving the animated focusing effect.

It is very strange, because, the only thing animated in this scene is the target, and the DOF in maxwell depends on the distance from the camera to the target. Any workaround? I've tried using it with and without the "use maxwell sequence rendering" switch.
But if I render the frames individually, they render the correct DOF!

I'm using 3dsmax8, and latest maxwell patch. Windows XP 32b, AMD Athlon64 3700, 2GB ddram

thanks in advance
By Renato Lemus
Ok, I noticed that the exporter always translates the focal depth the same as in the first frame, no matter how long you move the camera target, the focal depth will be the same. This bug is only present in an animation. I found out a workaround: override the manual focus distance in maxwell parameters, and animate it, according with the distance of your target. This is annoying, but is better than exporting frame-by-frame or modifying individually each mxs file.
Is this a current limitation or it's a bug?
By Bogdan Coroi
It's a bug indeed. Thanks for the report and sorry for the inconvenience.
At the first look, it appears to be a Max SDK bug. We're still investigating it and I'll let you know here about the progress.
By Bogdan Coroi
Fixed. It will be available in the next update. :)
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]