All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By Mihai
It's a standalone renderer.

Like Mentalray, like Vray, finalrender......

All of the above work by having a plugin export scene data from your 3D modelling app and converting it to a format the standalone renderer can read.

Probably the final plugins will just be geometry export plugins and in the Maxwell standalone GUI we will assign materials to objects or they will be converted automatically based on naming conventions.
By tom
retirado wrote:i just want to know what can i expect from this software.
you tell first, what you expect really? :D
By Nicolas Rivera
Hi, this question is very interesting. Retirado and i where beta tester for a long time of the new Artlantis R software, for those of you that do not know Artlantis, it is a software that can import various 3d formats and you can put objects, assign textures, use radiosity, put 2d billboards that follow the camera and all of this in a very very speed way.

So now we have maxwell, for me, because i'm sure it will be the best light simulator out there, but not necessarily the best or more efficient renderer in a matter of hitting a deadline. I will be nice to know what Maxwell will have in October, but i know that NL is inventing a lot of things as we speak and it is difficult to say we are going to have this and that.

I think it will be nice for NL to try out Artlantis and see how efficiency is correctly implemented in a software.

I love Artlantis and i will never stop using it, but i love the quality and realism of Maxwell, its just that i'm specking a lot more from it besides light simulation and correct materials.

:wink:
By smeggy
Maxwell is a renderer. :D

As I understand it...

Maxwell currently renders objects with lighting and textures from 3d modeling programs like 3dsMax. Cinema etc. and renders these scenes via a plugin.

In the future, Maxwell will only need the model geometry as it will handle all the textures, lighting and rendering via scene import to the Maxwell GUI.

I don't think anyone knows for certain at this point exactely how all this will work out as NL are still working on it to iron out the various issues involved and everything is subject to change as Maxwell develops.
By Nicolas Rivera
But what about if my business is only of rendering services, not modeling. If a customer comes in with a 3ds model of his project and wants me to texture and light it up, will maxwell let me do that or will i have to buy forcibly any of the supported modeling softwares??? :roll:

Are we going to be chained to the export plugins for ever??? i dont loke that, what if i only use Hexagon for that matter??? there are no plans of making a pluging for it, what about sketchup??? nothing yet. It is frustrating when you have tha pressure of, first $395, now $495 for a software that you are not sure what will offer in the end or if it will ever work with your 3d app. Frustrating right?? :?
By Nicolas Rivera
Thanks Tonfarben, i'm just creating a scene where maxwell can realy be questioned.

Any ways i'm using OSX so no matador light for me. If Daros can make it for mac, that will be great.

I'll be more then thanksfull is any NL master can comment on this.
By Renato Lemus
retirado wrote:tonfarben.....does matador light the only chance to apply textures out of the original 3d program or do you think that in the end maxwell will allow to do all that stuff???

I am feeling like Nicolas.....plug ins for ever?? we need a complete tool.

i hope i have not bought the wrong software :?
I don't understand what you really expect. If you expect a full app with modelling capabilities, you bought the wrong software.
Maxwell it's going to be very similar to my old friend Lightscape. It's basically a renderer, with a GUI, so you can tweak lights, materials, cameras, animation params.etc.
But you need a modeller to create geometry. Here is where the plugins come to play.
For instance, mentalray, is a standalone monster. No matter if you can see the interface in 3dsmax, maya or softimage. What these apps do, is just a translation of the geometry and parameters into the mr language, and then, it launches itself independently and outputs to a framebuffer.
By Sergio Apodaca
Strange cuestions from Nicolas Rivera and retirado. Two Artlantis testers for ever. They asked if Maxwell shall apply textures, shaders, lights, check sun position (??????). This cuestions, forgive me if I wrong, looks like someones who want to know a product strategy.
By Mihai
retirado, maybe you'll get your answer(s) by page 7 of this thread :P

why weren't you specific in your first post? There are no clear 100% answers given to us at this time, but the developers have hinted that it will work like I described in my first reply, so sort of like artlantis.

To all those wishing a plugin for xyz software, don't ask only NL, ask the makers of that xyz software because with the sdk, anybody can write an export-import plugin now.
By Nicolas Rivera
Hi every body. Only a few here have ever worked with Artlantis, so no body understands the simplicity we are use too. I forgive Sergio for thinking we are spy's or something, hey i spent 395$ just like you because i believe in MaxwellRender, just like you. But we are expecting a lot more from NL, as an architect my interest is in light studies and texturing my design's. Please do not pick on us because we are asking.

Ask your self's the same question, what did you really bought??? is it really clear???. :wink:
By Sergio Apodaca
Well, I bought a unbiased render engine, phisically accurate. Its materials are related with the light too, this is why is different to other renders. :wink: Nothing less, nothing more.
By Nicolas Rivera
Yes, me too Sergio, but its hard to interpret an application that its called stand alone, when it is completely dependent on another, at least for now. But i know this will change along the way, its just that i'm a little upset because i thought the material editor was going to be active in beta :wink:. Well This is just the first steps of beta, hope lots of things will change next friday with the patch release.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]