All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By mverta
Guys -

It's a BETA. It's supposed to have bugs. Because it's a public beta we all get to help find them, report them, and make suggestions. Oscar and the NL team will listen to whatever constructive reports we file. I hear a lot of people complaining about this beta as though it was a final release.

_Mike
By tom
thank you mike...
By Intuition
I think everyone is jumping the gun here.

I can empathise because we have seen so much from Maxwell so far.

Having said that though I know within a week or so we will all be making ridiculously cool renders again using the knowlegde we are gaining from playing with the new stuff combined with the refinements that are being made from our feedback.

This early beta time with the bugs will be quickly forgotten and everyone will be posting photogr...I mean MW renders again with glee.

Keep on rendering and testing so we can all get the bugs out.

:D

Thanks for all your help and contributions Tom. They have been a huge help these past few months.
By tom
thank you 2
By hdesbois
I understand there are some issues with this beta release (Tom, you've seen a big one I stumbled on : I had put the word "dieletrics in the title of the thead to make sure you'll see it :wink: ). Well, that's what betas are for. Yes, there are also some issues with the LW plugin, but as far as I understand, it's hardly worse than with any other plugin. And just in case LW plugin developpers take a look at this thread, I'd like to say that I'm rather pleased with overall Maxwell integration into Lightwave, specially since Maxwell uses all native LW camera parameters. So, we can make a quick setup with fprime, including a fine-tune of DOF in almost no time. Thanks to the developping team for that. Nearly all major annoyances are about material editor. As soon as Maxwell as it's own, I'm sure it can be a favourite renderer for all lightwavers. So, fellow Ligthwave users, stand firm, don't give up, go on testing every feature, I'm sure that in the end you will be rewarded for your pain.
HD
By Jake256
hdesbois wrote:So, fellow Ligthwave users, stand firm, don't give up, go on testing every feature, I'm sure that in the end you will be rewarded for your pain.
HD
We can't, the software doesn't work. If it did then I would be testing it. There are very few features that work and those that do will crash before you get usable results.

I have been on 3 beta test teams and I would not call what was given to the Lightwave/Mac users a beta. A beta has some bugs and annoyances but still produces results consistently. What I received to use with Lightwave, on my Mac, is still a mystery. There can be no way that this software could have been tested on a mac before it was released. From what I have seen, it doesn't work on any of them. Is that possible?
By giacob
justr for examples...
clipmap doesnt work properly
glass doesnt work properly ( casts shadows)
we ar not talking about the fact that the possibility of making a complex material are quite limited ( for instance u cant make a mapped glass, u cannot make a blend or a mix materia, ... displacement etc)
we are talking abouit the fact that one cant make glasses work properly!!!!
in alfa glass worked properly i made just a test to confirm.. i would be haapy to be contradicted
By MetinSeven_com
Generally speaking (not to someone in particular) ...

Please keep track of why this thread was started: the simple questions whether the first Maxwell beta is a sound improvement after the last alpha and whether it's already a wise decision to upgrade when you're using Maxwell for production.

This isn't about the fact that a beta shouldn't be regarded as a final version or a number of other things I've read.

Once again: I love Maxwell, else I wouldn't be here. But I always try to remain unbiased ;), objective and critical. I guess that's the best attitude towards developers that want their product to be the best around.

Cheers,

Metin
Last edited by MetinSeven_com on Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Renato Lemus
Maximus3D wrote:Heh, interesting this :) i notice they given you strict rules to obey, it shows in the way you type and talk. It changed since you started betatesting it. Like a whole new ballgame this time around..
Not sure if i'm right but it's just something i picked up in the past weeks on here with certain attitude changes and "moods" in the way stuff are typed :)

/ Max
It's the same tom. It's just that, being in the beta team, he received an upgrade too. tom v.1.2 :lol:
By Becco_UK
I find the new 'Beta' version to be an improvement over the previous alpha version of Maxwell.

How much of an improvement is difficult to assess, mainly due to plugin limitations. Because of the variation in the quality of the plugins we really have several versions of Maxwell.

The speed gains are not relevant in my mind because Maxwell started from a relitively slow render time base anyway. Tie in that many people will now wish to make larger renders and we perhaps will end up with longer render times than the Alpha version, albeit producing larger images.

It's really down down to individuals/ companies whether to risk using the current Maxwell Beta in a production environment.
By Jake256
I haven't tried the "pick your nose crash" yet. Interesting.
By mverta
Great...

Another useless thread on another board. Complaining about the definition of "beta" doesn't help make Maxwell a better product in any way.

You want to be useful? Then post your bugs, as detailed as you can, and shut up.

If I was writing software, I sure as hell wouldn't want to sift through hundreds of posts looking for something useful I could address. What I'd want is: WHAT is the problem; WHEN do you experience it.

Unless the NL team is insane, they'll address the bugs - each and every one. So start a thread with your bug, post pictures if you can and a detailed analysis of the circumstance that created it.

Otherwise, go work in mental ray, or Brazil, or Renderman, or any other release renderer you want, and complain instead about how they don't look as good as Maxwell. Do whatever you want, but don't waste everyone's time here with your whining.

You're on Day 1 of a Beta and some features don't work. No shit.

_Mike
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]