All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By Ernesto
tom wrote:
Ernesto wrote:It worked ok in my scene too. so the problem was in my material...
OK, could you share your tip to make it fail?
Yes, sure Tom.
Sorry, for the delay... I had a deadline, and couldn´t tell what happened before.
I had 2 separated problems:

1) I was not aware of the texture filter use, and I had all my water materials set with that filter off. Now I see that not using the filter gives a flat surface, with steps between pixels. My pixels were so big that I didn´t noticed the steps, but only that the reflections were equal to a flat glass. As soon as I switched all the filters ON (as copied from your material file) they started to look like real water!

2) I am still not able to see the water preview in the material editor. I tried all the available preview scenes but they do not show the bump effect in the water. (this fooled me) I saw that in your saved material you had a great preview. I wish I could see the material that way, in order to avoid rendering the scene to test it. I did a final test with the material editor, using YOUR great water material, and without editing it at all, I tried to regenerate the material preview with all the available scenes and NONE of them showed the material as it is, but they look something totally diferent, which makes me try them in the scene directly, wasting lot of valuable time.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong that I am not aware off it yet...
Please tell me how can I have the same preview in the material editor.

Thanks again for your help.

Ernesto

PS it would be a good idea if NL could provide a basic library with basic architectural materials like this one, and some others.
By tom
Ernesto wrote:2) I am still not able to see the water preview in the material editor. I tried all the available preview scenes but they do not show the bump effect in the water. (this fooled me) Perhaps I am doing something wrong that I am not aware off it yet... Please tell me how can I have the same preview in the material editor.
Interesting, because I really do nothing special at that point. Could you please video capture your material creation session and send? (You can use the free tool Jing for this. www.jingproject.com )
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]