All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
Just had some time in my schedule for cleaning up and archiving and was trying to decide if I should save any of my old MXI or MXS files, the MXI seamed useful in the past, but in all my years of using Maxwell, I've never gone back to an old MXI or MXS. If I need an old project it's always because I have to change something and re-render from scratch anyway or re-print the final images. I use the dynamic range of the MXI lots during a job, but once it's done I never go back. Has anyone else ever needed to go back? Does anyone save their old MXI or MXS files?
although not actively using MW until this year I don't save them MXI/MXS...take up way too much disk space. Like you, if I need more than what's in the image file it's likely because something in the model has changed requiring a complete re-render.
Mate 99% of the time I ditch them!

On a recent project I have saved the MXI just in case the client wants the odd night shot later though they haven't yet so I'll ditch them in a month or two, with each being a gig or so they take a lot of space!

The MXS I tend to always ditch, if I were to save any I would likely do a pack and go and zip it up so any changes to the textures etc in my library don't effect that file!

Interested how you would use the dynamic range of the MXI output, I'm not so great with post editing and looking for how others might use this range to improve the final render?
By Peder
A word of caution might be in place. I had some image based lighting textures break because our IT dept. cleaned out ALL the .mxi files on the network.

Otherwise I would also loose the .mxi files they are just too big.

/Peder
By def4d
[Win+F]
*.mxi *.mxs
[Alt+v] [d]
Order by folder

I then delete files that are not in a "Textures" folder.

I delete all the useless old incremented .max files, except those who correspond to a render i like(i.e. blabla023.png and blabla023.max)
I clone important *.max files, usually the last one (i.e. blabla023_CQ.max)
I archive in .rar at maximum compression all the resting *.max files (resulting files are way lighter)
Sometimes i take time to png->jpg less important renders that i however want to keep at a normal quality

Just my 2 cents
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]