All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By martgreg
Sorry for the short kinda dumb question

I know very little about real photography

Are the ISO and shutter just multipliers of the lights withing the scene...

or does moving them drastically affect anything important in the image ?

sharpness clarity etc... my eye doesnt really notice things that well but i was wondering if any expert out there knew....

thanks
By Josephus Holt
see noboddy answered your question, so will try. I suppose you could get a better answer by Googling it :) ISO and shutter speed and shutter aperture all work together. ISO comes from when we used film and had to do with how fast the chemicals on the film reacted to the light....the slower ISO, like 25 produced a very nicely saturated, sharp image, while ISO 400 was used usally in low light but produces markedly grainy images. In order to get a correct exposture when using a low ISO like 25 (Kodachrome) or 64 (Ektachrome), you would have to set your lens aperture (shutter opening size) larger, like to an f2.8 or f4, and slow the shutter speed down to 1/60th of a second...if working let's say on a cloudy day (I may be off here...it's been awhile :). For general photography ISO 100 or 200 was the best range as it gave you more flexibility with shutter speed and shutter aperture (aperture affects the focus...a smaller aperture like 2.0 or 2.8 can produce a more limited depth of field, hence some parts of the photo being out of focus, while a slower shuter speed could be used to show motion, like 1/15 second (really depends on how fast the object is moving). As far as I know, for Maxwell the ISO setting just determines the amount of light that is coming into the image...I don't believe it affects the sharpness and/or grainyness...so start with an ISO of 200. An aperture of f8 gives a good depth of field and is also a good starting point, as is 60 or 100 (1/60th or 1/100th of a second). You might want to get a book in the library on basic 35mm photography...it's not very complicated.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]