All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By piroshki
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has installed maxwell on a window7-64 bit, and if they have had any luck running Maxwell... We are about to setup a new Render machine, 64 bit, on our network and I was wondering whether we can take the plunge. All the machine will be doing is running Maxwell...

Thoughts?

T.

PS: why is search on this bulletin board so C**P?
By Maximus3D
Wait a couple of months after it's final release is out and then consider installing it as the main OS on any machine, even Micro$osft says you should not install the current RC1 as your main OS. I run it in WMWare and VirtualBox here and it runs pretty well there, i plan on installing Maxwell soon to test it.

/ Max
By piroshki
Hi Maximus,

Yup - that would be the wise thing to do... On the other hand, if someone had run it, and found an interesting performance boost, then that would be a reason to try it. Since all this machine will do is render (files are kept on our work machines and backed up there), the cost of reinstalling the OS (say windows xp 64) + reinstalling maxwell is maybe 2 hours (and a lost render) - which in our workflow is tolerable.

T.
By Maximus3D
Yep true, you 'could' in theory gain increased performance when rendering with it. If you're willing to gamble a bit and try knowing there are still issues with the OS then you're more than welcome to give it a shot. I'd love to hear how it performs. :)
Speaking of which.. i'm gonna install Maxwell now in Win7 to test it.

/ Max
By DrMerman
Hey Piroshki,

I've been running Win7 64-bit as my main OS since the beta release (although I did have an XP-install ready just in case - I'm not completely mad :)) and so far I've had no problems running Maxwell whatsoever. I'd previously been on XP 32-bit so being able to use all of my ram was a huge deal and I managed to complete some otherwise impossible renders. But I have to agree with Max here and say BE CAREFUL! What works for me might be catastrophic for you, and it's always a good idea to have a plan-b (in my case a dual-boot system.)

Given the experience I've had however, I'll be purchasing Win7 on release. I really really like it.

Cheers,

Matt
By kami
I'm running win7x64 (beta) as well.
it works more than great. didn't have any problems.
but as far as render speed goes, I don't think win7 will be measurably faster than any other 64-bit-OS. So if this is the only reason you consider switching to windows7 I wouldn't suggest it, because it really isn't worth the risk
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]