All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
how does "max rgb 220" work for colors other than grey? Does that mean that for any color, r<220, g<220, b<220, or is the the average of the sum, like (r+b+g)/3<220?
By -Adrian
Average sum. 255|110|0 would be fine. But be careful if you're high in 3 channels in general.
In regards to textures that use the same values in certain parts of the texture, how is this handled in the best way? ie. controlling the output of the texture to stop high color values? Is lowering the saturation all that is needed? Cheers,
You can use the clamp value in the texture picker to clamp the highest rgb values.I would avoid using 255 for any color value. At least a little lower than that. When you mouse over a texture in the texture picker you get a readout of it's rgb values.
Thanks Mihai, I had a feeling that's what it was for, never played with it though. Awesome stuff! Cheers
I think the clamp value should be a little higher. A common reflectance of a bright white sheet of paper is 88% in the visible spectrum. Probably there are some white materials a little over this value, near 90% reflectance, but not more. So a real value to clamp the white values shuld be 255x0.9=229.5. (230)

This is a measured reflectance of a white sheet of paper
I will go to 230 definitely. I saw tests but I didn't realize the real amount.

I ask another thing.
I looked in dictionary the meaning of "Clamp" but for me isn't clear in this case:
does it act like a "cut" merely bringing down all the superiors values or is like a "compression" of the whole range?

(I imagine the second but...).

Thank you,
Ricky
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]