All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By andronikos916
I do not know how the hell I missed that thread...very helpfull indeed!

thank you guys,
Andronikos :lol:
By goncalo
Hy thomas can you share that scene in other format please, the Mac people can't decompress using .7z

Thanks
By Thomas An.
This is a new test comparing:
  1. Photo
  2. Maxwell alpha 1.1.33
  3. Maxwell RC3
All values/scene/parameters are identical
(using plugin material values).

Maxwell Alpha 1.1.33 (f5.6 and s30, @ 12 bounces)

Maxwell RC3 (f5.6 and s30)

It seems that the RC3 engine behaves quite differently especially in regards to caustics and dielectrics and that the findings in the beginning of this thread might now be obsolete. In other words, the new engine might be using a new mechanism to handle dielectrics.

Caveat:
  • It is possible that the discrepances might be attributed to faulty built in translation of materials between the plugin and the new material editor in RC3. Even though I checked to make sure the ND values transfered properly for the RC3 render, the refractions seem off.
  • Also, I show somewhere that objects partially intersecting with trasmissive objects will produce bad results, which might play a factor here because of the red straw penetrating the liquid
Last edited by Thomas An. on Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Thomas An.
Here is the same RC3 image using a slower camera shutter (s5) so as to better observe the faulty refracted images in the liquid (through the top of the liquid and through the side of the glass).

Last edited by Thomas An. on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By lllab
not good....

the alpha beta was sooo close to the photo. the rc looks like a rendering. caustics are much to strong too.

cheers
stefan
By psanitra
We all know how bad current RC engine is . This is another proof of it. :cry:
By JesperW
Very interesting. I was not around at alpha time, would you say the beta would have been as close to the photo as the alpha? I understand the alpha was slower still than the beta.

(And cred to you for having the energy to do tests with RC3, since NL have said themselves that it's crap. I suspect the tests are still useful to them. Myself I'm busy with other pieces of buggy software :? )
/j
By Thomas An.
JesperW wrote:... would you say the beta would have been as close to the photo as the alpha?

Yes, the beta would be close to the alpha result.
I understand the alpha was slower still than the beta.
Nope. As far as I can tell the alpha was even faster (provided we made judicious use of the bounce control)

As far as I am concerned the Alpha was the best Maxwell ever (and it had working clipmaps and volumentrics) they should have backaged it and sold it as Maxwell Lite....
(And cred to you for having the energy to do tests with RC3, since NL have said themselves that it's crap. I suspect the tests are still useful to them. Myself I'm busy with other pieces of buggy software :? )
/j
Thanks Jasper :)
The only reason for doing this test was to keep a log or progress report and see how RC4 (or 5 or 6) will differ (if at all)
By rivoli
back to glass/water again. thanks for keep testing this thomas, looks we have to start it over again. do you think that refractions are totally off because of rc limitations or it may be the old method that doesn't apply with the new engine?
By aitraaz
Thomas An. wrote:
As far as I am concerned the Alpha was the best Maxwell ever (and it had working clipmaps and volumentrics) they should have backaged it and sold it as Maxwell Lite....
Agree as well, but that photo looks a bit cg'ish :shock:

RC3 caustics seem to be on steroids :shock:
Last edited by aitraaz on Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rivoli
Aksel Karcher wrote: Talking about this, does anyone know where to get the Alpha and the according Max-Plugin back from again?
i still have them all backuped in my drive, but i doubt we are allowed to share them (of course not here on the forums).
what do you think tom, are registered users supposed to share old releases?
By Thomas An.
rivoli wrote:back to glass/water again. thanks for keep testing this thomas, looks we have to start it over again. do you think that refractions are totally off because of rc limitations or it may be the old method that doesn't apply with the new engine?
I don't know yet. It could be either or.

It is possible that the new engine uses a different mechanism. So, when I find some time I will have to restart this test (particularly the ray/beam experiments of the front page... but I will not do anything now untill we are at RC200 or something :twisted:
By Thomas An.
aitraaz wrote:but that photo looks a bit cg'ish :shock:
It is a true photo, with no post process other than converting to grayscale.
(This photo was a controlled experiment. If you followed this thread you will see how it was made)
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]