All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By Thomas An.
rivoli wrote: i still have them all backuped in my drive, but i doubt we are allowed to share them (of course not here on the forums).
what do you think tom, are registered users supposed to share old releases?
Since we are all registered users here I don't think there is a problem sharing the old alphas as long as you don't post a link publically in the forum. Just send an email.

I have the Alpha too but I don't have the Max plugin of that time.
By rivoli
Thomas An. wrote: but I will not do anything now untill we are at RC200 or something :twisted:
i see, that's fair enough.
By rivoli
Thomas An. wrote:[
Since we are all registered users here I don't think there is a problem sharing the old alphas as long as you don't post a link publically in the forum. Just send an email.
ok then, just let me know via pm aksel.
By Voidmonster
Thomas, I've not had a chance to fully test this yet, but preliminary results are kind of pointing to phong smoothing being messed up. You might want to try your scene again with a much higher object mesh density and a much lower smoothing threshold.

In the test I've been working on, I seemed to be getting a lot less (seemingly) random noise in the image when the smoothing angle was significantly reduced. Also, that noise was clearing up after SL 24 in the current RC. Today I'm going to try and set up a more controlled test for smoothing angle and render up a chart of values.

I don't have enough computers around to render them all up to SL 24 though. :wink:
By Micha
Thomas, thank you for the test. I think it will help NL to improve the engine. Your tests are very serious. :wink:

I's a pity, that we don't have a Rhino Maxwell Alpha plugin with material manager. Could be nice to use the alpha with rhinoll 0.7.0. Maybe if Znouza share his Beta plugin with us he could build an alpha version too.
By Thomas An.
Voidmonster wrote: You might want to try your scene again with a much higher object mesh density and a much lower smoothing threshold.
I am not sure if I understand you right, but this is a high poly scene. The glass alone is 60000 polys and has modelled imperfections (and ridges) in it just as the physical model did.
By Thomas An.
Micha wrote:I's a pity, that we don't have a Rhino Maxwell Alpha plugin with material manager. Could be nice to use the alpha with rhinoll 0.7.0....
That would be very nice indeed.
By Voidmonster
Thomas An. wrote:
Voidmonster wrote: You might want to try your scene again with a much higher object mesh density and a much lower smoothing threshold.
I am not sure if I understand you right, but this is a high poly scene. The glass alone is 60000 polys and has modelled imperfections (and ridges) in it just as the physical model did.
Can you set the smoothing angle for the polygons? I'll have a better idea soon, but this seems to have a strong effect on how noisy the image is.

I'm running the experiment now with an object set to 89.5 degrees, 60, 45, 30, 15 and 5. As I lower the smoothing angle I've also increased the mesh density to compensate.
By dmeyer
Hello,

Most of the images in this thread have been unlinked, making it difficult to follow.

I have a need to understand the most physically correct way to do liquid-in-glass with Maxwell 2.

Is there a refresher thread?

Thanks
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]