All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By w i l l
hyltom wrote:As i said, i used this lighting setup few month ago, so i was not sure i could remember it exactly...so i tried it again few minutes ago (just by following what i say above)....and i' m not that far.
This is 10mn rendering (SL 13), burn 0.8, gamma 2.2. I just changed the shutter to 7 (not 4) as the product is smaller.

Oh and i forget to mention that there is no postwork and the background looks pretty white :wink:

I'm assuming your studio curves upwards vertically at the back here (as the shot is low and with that kind of shot you'd see black where a horizontal ground pane finishes) - so how does the LDR emit onto the back of the product when there's a studio in the way?

... or is there no vertical part to the studio and just a massive emmiter or LDR at the back?
By hyltom
w i l l wrote:I'm assuming your studio curves upwards vertically at the back here (as the shot is low and with that kind of shot you'd see black where a horizontal ground pane finishes) - so how does the LDR emit onto the back of the product when there's a studio in the way?

... or is there no vertical part to the studio and just a massive emmiter or LDR at the back?
The studio is composed of 1 basic plane for the floor. There is no wall behind the product. If the background look white, it's because of the LDR that emit at the back of the product. Then the floor reflect the light of the emitter so it looks white too.
By w i l l
Oh ok cool - thats for that. I was thinking that... and also thinking of maybe making the actual studio (or parts of it) a white emitter.
By w i l l
.... sometimes i find that a reflective floor material (like your white) can be awkward to use as you directly see the reflections of the light planes - so you end up with odd white sqaures of light somewhere in the background.

But i suppose that if you want everything white (and use the background LDR) then that doesnt matter anyway.
By Tim Ellis
w i l l wrote:.... sometimes i find that a reflective floor material (like your white) can be awkward to use as you directly see the reflections of the light planes - so you end up with odd white sqaures of light somewhere in the background.

But i suppose that if you want everything white (and use the background LDR) then that doesnt matter anyway.
Just select 'hidden to reflections/refractions' in the object properties window, for the emitter objects Will.

Tim.
By w i l l
I cant test it now but i was assuming that wouldnt work cos your seeing the actual light from the emitter plane not the reflection of the emitter plane - the actual light is causing the light patches which aren't so obvious when using lambertian material.
By Tim Ellis
Sorry buddy I misunderstood.

Not sure you can have emitters without the light they emit being visible.

Adding a ghost BSDF layer to an emitter will work to some degree though, but you won't get rid of the light 'splash' on other objects.

A larger emitter object or a diffuser would help to spread the light more, whilst reducing the hot spot areas on your background.

Tim.
By w i l l
Thanks Hyltom for the LDR's.

Its pretty easy to make a black product setup - black flowing into the horizon as naturally the studio will appear darker further away from the emitters. Its more difficult to keep the white flowing into the background without using a massive backlight or LDR though. I've been messing about with some studio setups for 3 days now and i've got about 5 variations on interesting setups - or i know how to recreate them.

One thing i ended up doing was making a gradient map to blend the studio floor from a white material at the front to an emitter at the back - which will then blend in with the backlight or white sky dome at the back - or keep the emitter flowing up the vertical curve of the studio at the back. That can potentially give you the option of leaving the image channel open to use HDRI's intead of the backlighting HDR.
By -Adrian
Sorry to bump this.

Hyltom, do you still have the tweaked Material or Scene? I could use it right now :lol:
By superbad
I did a ton of renderings using this technique a few weeks ago. Just a white sky dome, a reflective white floor, and a couple lights to pick up some highlights. Really easy, and they render fast too.

(I just noticed that the back edge of the ground plane is slightly visible on the right side on this one- easy to fix though.)
By w i l l
I still think this is a limiting method for rendering though - your product lighting is governed by the LDR (which might not be what you want) and you can get unwanted lighting on the reflective floor if your light planes are in the wrong place - its like setting up a render to correctly light the floor not the product. I'd still rather edit it in Photoshop after but thats just my opinion.
By wagurto
Does anyone has a studio setup for this kind of white background? It will be nice to have everything set up the right way, materilas, lighting camara etc.
Just a thought
By Blitzor
I have a setup using emitters and mxi/hdri maps for emitters. It allows for more control.

Also Hyltom, your white floor material, although works good, is very noisy at SL20... I modified it to get much less noise at SL16 (remove one of the layers, make it higher reflectiveness, more roughness, and add emitter layer to it). It takes about half the time to render with the same amount of noise.

Also depending on what you are rendering, you will ALWAYS need to change the orientation of the emitters to get the right highlights/sheen off the product.
By wagurto
Blitzon can you share your setup as MXS?
Appreciated
By caryjames
Blitzor- good idea about adding an emitter layer to the floor material. I had thought about something like that a couple of weeks ago but talked myself out of trying it for some reason :). I will give it a go and see....

one last question because I know you are rendering jewellery.

I have found that a gradient mxi added to an emitter works the best for illuminating the metal without strange reflections but have found that with a white floor it sometimes makes the floor turn grey. Is the emitter layer the way around this?

Thanks!
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]