All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By micheloupatrick
cgbeige, we're having the same CB scores. I just tested and got 24200 for rendering, and 6725 for OpenGL.
But I still can't get past 2000 in the Maxwell bench (and that's on a new system, without anything running in the background).
Can you post the command you're using for rendering? Are you getting the same score from within the MXCL app with GUI?
By dmeyer
cgbeige wrote:I don't understand what you've got running in the background on that machine to slow it down so badly. I get 6600 in CB with the 4870 and at least 24000 in the mp render score - and this is on the 2.6 GHz machine.
Here is a screenshot...

I am actually wondering if you got a ringer of a system for some reason. Looking at the benchwells shows you having a significantly higher bench/GHZ than the any other system on the site. My 2.93 comes in slightly less efficient than the slower systems, which isn't surprising.

By cgbeige
okay - I think I know what the difference is. Ignatio gave me a different 64-bit build when I was having trouble with network renders. It must be a bit faster (it's not related to 2.0 at all - this was quite a while ago). I'm not supposed to pass it on though. It's just an internal build. I forgot I was using it.
By dmeyer
Today we successfully upgraded some machines from Dual Processor-Dual Core Opteron 2222's to Opteron 2427 6-core chips. Including the BIOS update each machine took about 10 minutes to upgrade.

Some quick benches in benchwell:

Opteron 2222: 545
Opteron 2427: 1340
By -Adrian
I've just added AMD's new 6-core line to the db. I haven't done the tiny icon with a 6 yet, but you can already select it and add an entry if you want :wink:
By dmeyer
-Adrian wrote:I've just added AMD's new 6-core line to the db. I haven't done the tiny icon with a 6 yet, but you can already select it and add an entry if you want :wink:
I already submitted the 1340 score under the username beaker7. Can you change the chip on that entry to the new one? I selected the closest one on the list.
By -Adrian
Ah ok, i hadn't seen your comment. Updated.
By Josephus Holt
dmeyer wrote:
Josephus Holt wrote:the new Intel Nehalem-EX coming out later this year will have 128 threads PER processor :shock: :shock: :shock: With the reported speed increases in MW v2, on one machine we could be looking at a high quality render in less than an hour which would have taken maybe a couple of hundred hours on my previous dual core machine!!!
I think you mean 128 per 8-socket system. 16 per processor.
Oops, I must have been looking at a system with 8-processors/sockets for a total 64 cores and 128 threads w/HT, definitely not something that will fit in my budget :oops:
By ivox3
Wish: Forget listing the machine as Intel PC, the Macs can stay the same.

Allow us the ability to list the motherboard ----- infinitely more useful information.

Benchwell is basically a knowledge base for hardware to use with MW and not just a competition -- let it be more comprehensive.

What say yOU ??

Come on, how bout some +1's ......... :lol:
By Josephus Holt
ivox3 wrote:Wish: Forget listing the machine as Intel PC, the Macs can stay the same.

Allow us the ability to list the motherboard ----- infinitely more useful information.

Benchwell is basically a knowledge base for hardware to use with MW and not just a competition -- let it be more comprehensive.

What say yOU ??

Come on, how bout some +1's ......... :lol:
+1 here, although I prefer to see the CPU listing...I don't understand why that info was dropped...just "Intel PC" is meaningless unless maybe you're looking for PC vs MAC.
By ivox3
The actual processor information is still available if you hover the cursor over the icon -- which I suppose is alright, but I'd rather not have to.

I know know were a bit short on real estate, but there simply has to be a way to create a slightly less confusing and yet a more comprehensive chart.

Also: How about listing the # ? It helps when your trying to gauge where your entry is at...

Adrian ..... don't kill me for these ramblings. Your effort with this whole thing is noble(hats off to that !) -- I'm just wishing out loud.
By ivox3
Another matter:

Could someone please try and put some sense to these i7 scores ?? They don't make a lick of sense ---- there's machines at 2.67ghz with 3gigs beating out 2.93ghz machines with 12gigs and all sorts of other discrepancies being shown.

There doesn't seem to be any consistency ---Theories ? Granted, they're all basically fast, but you would think that two machines with each running the same same basic hardware and OS, that the higher clocked machine would produce a faster time, ..yet, such is not always the case. What up ....

** Unless for ridiculous reasons that people aren't reporting accurately. As stupid as that is, I'd almost prefer that to be the case, because trying to understand the hardware discrepancy is messing with me.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]