All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By Bubbaloo
Only use instancing in cases where you need to because of a limited amount of RAM. It will definitely render slower using instances. It's a trade off.

Edit: Nice tree!
By kami
a bit weird though, that instancing slows the render so drastically.

the tree is indeed nice! the leafs look partly transparent. is this intended or am I seeing something wrong?
By Asmithey
Thanks guys,

Hi Brian,

If I only have a few of them in a project, I do not instance them.

Hi Kami,
I'd say they look tranparent due to the make up of the Mesquite leaf. The leaves are made of tiny leaflets. Hers is my clip map I made from one of my Mesquites.

Aaron
By Richard
I also thought the leaves looked overly transparent!

If this is your clip map I can see why, not being b/w (0/255) you are getting this excessive transparency through the leaves.

I trialled some leaf tests with even lesser transparency, although one leaf with sun through may look sweet, when they overlay each other the foreground leaves in the shadow of background leaves still have excessive light through and looks wrong!
By Asmithey
That's just the image map I posted here. The clip map is constructed properly as an mxm with a b/w clip map. If I render this leaf by it's self it looks perfect with no transparency. It looks transparent because the leaflets are so tiny.
By Richard
Cool!

But wow they seem so! I did read a thread the other days regarding use of tiffs as clips instead of jpgs as jpgs have artifacts of grey around the edges. On small leaves I've found a considerable difference!

Could it be possible at a distance pixel blending given the leaflets are so small the edges are being more blurred?

I too have found with Onyz I could spend a day trying to get a usable tree and still not be overly happy!

I've started some trials doing my own from scratch.
By Asmithey
Richard,

I did use jpeg's so maybe I will try tiff's to see if it makes a difference. I like your leaf image. Thanks for the tip.

Aaron
By kami
you could also try using a second transparent layer with a weight map. this method is less error-prone.

I didn't know, that they have tiny leaflets. This explains the transparency. I need to check out some reference photos, trees like that don't exist, where I live ;)
By Micha
Hi,

I use Rhino and Rhino isn't good for high polycounts. My luck, I found the trees from www.VBvisual.com - I bought vol.1. The renderings at the webside dosn't looks so promising, because the quality lack of the used render engine, but I'm quite happy with the low poly trees...

The polycount is max 8000 per tree. Disadvantages: the price of the bundle is quite high and the textures are in TGA format only, but after converting to PNG and some color adjust it's fine for me. Only conifers are missing. I bought the DOSCH conifers, but that was a big mistake. Doe's somebody know a good resource for low poly conifers?

Alsoa low poly tree collection can be found from Marlinstudios:
http://www.marlinstudios.com/products/t ... efarm.html
But the collection seems to be based on phantasy trees, not real species:
http://www.marlinstudios.com/samples/samptreefarm.htm
And the top branches goe's upwards most - strange.
Doe's somebody used this trees?
By Micha
Here an example in near distance.

By Micha
This are the textures (different sets for different seasons):

I'm very curious which software was be used to create the trees.
By kami
those trees indeed look very good. your rendering as well!
the only problem rhino has with large polycount is, that the viewpoint gets extremely slow. That's at least what I experienced... Is this the same problem you've got?
By Micha
Yes, I know the slow down problem, but I found, working with meshes instead NURBS helps a lot to keep the RAM usage low and the viewport fast. So, for complex scenes I create meshes and keep the NURBS in an additional file.
MoI fast create homogeneous low poly meshes from NURBS. I wrote two little buttons scripts for exporting NURBS to MoI and reimport the mesh, so,the workflow is quite good.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]