All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By tom
Olivier Cugniet wrote:one of the first announcement for dev was that scenes with lots of emitters was much faster that with beta
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8142

is this announcement still actual/veryfied for RC5 ?
They were rendered with RS2 and it's still under construction about compability of new material system. Currently RC5 comes with RS1+ w/New Material System, finalized version of beta engine.
By Olivier Cugniet
yeah, i don't really get that... does it mean that RC5 is the beta engine with new material system, and that further versions will switch to RS2 (new render engine) with new material system ??? well i guess it means that :)
so it mean that there will be mainly no real speed improovement, just a working engine with studio and new material system?

anyway thank's for the response
Last edited by Olivier Cugniet on Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jonathan löwe
a lot of engines out there...

:D
By markps
I think it is time to resurect that old thread that states what have we been promissed for the V1 and we shouldn't accept less.

Actually you know... if it was a REGULAR business they whould state that very clear and not change from time to time.
By tom
buffos wrote:i erased it because i am very angry right now.
I think i am beeing fooled again
No, it's not as you supposed, Buffos. You were away for some months.

-Beta is RS1 and it's what you already have.

-Nov.22 was RS2 and the postponed status has been previously announced here:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=10185

-RC (1.0) is "based" on (not the same) RS1 and it's a completely new engine with the new material system that we called "RS1+". This doesn't mean it's just about new materials. Because every aspect of the core and other components tremendously improved and going on.

-The engine in Studio that generates the "preview" is called RS0.

So with the release 1.0, you'll have RS0, RS1+ and in the following months the completed RS2. When November arrived, we saw RS2 needed more time and unexpectedly the Nov release delayed. This is clearly explained in the above link (the official annoncement).

This doesn't mean you'll have something less. It's just a core system difference. Material system is the biggest part of the core, which means you'll have the promised things.
By aitraaz
:shock:

Sorry, this all sounds cool, but out of curiosity, can u check this quick list bro and see if its correct?

1) RS1 - Beta 1.2.2a core
2) RS2 - New Main Render Engine, intended as an evolution of RS1
3) RS0 - Preview engine first released with RC1, emphasis on speed

3) RS1+ -Third Engine developed primarily after RC4

OK, so RS2 i assumed is the highest quality engine, RC0 is for preview/speed, so what is the purpose of RS1+? A kind of bridge until RS2? Something else?

Just curious :)
By Olivier Cugniet
-RC (1.0) is "based" on (not the same) RS1 and it's a completely new engine with the new material system that we called "RS1+"
no, RS1+ was released with RC1 :roll: :roll:
By aitraaz
Olivier Cugniet wrote:
-RC (1.0) is "based" on (not the same) RS1 and it's a completely new engine with the new material system that we called "RS1+"
no, RS1+ was released with RC1 :roll: :roll:
I'm confused. Gonna have a drink and try again later :)
By mverta
Cugniet, you're confused.

Aitraaz... you basically got it, yes.

I'm glad this has been stated publicly, so I can comment.

What happened in November was a realization that simultaneous development of the entirely new material system AND the introduction/development of an extremely advanced new engine was just too much, too quickly. Anyone who used RC 1 can attest to that.

Since the heart of Maxwell is its materials, it was determined to continue working on them, and create a hybrid engine that could use them, while development continues on RS2.

At this point, that hybrid engine is called Rs1+, and it is superior to the beta engine in most respects. It should be superior to the beta in all respects by 1.0.

Combining RS1+ plus the new materials makes for a formidable combination. Eventually, the engine will be replaced by Rs2, but the materials will simply evolve. That's the plan at this point.

This sort of thing isn't unheard of, by the way. A lot of time software companies come up with the "next generation" while still developing the first generation. Hell, even Kodak, 100 years ago, didn't tell the public they had color photography cameras for 5 years so they could capitalize on Black and White camera sales!

RS2 needs more time, and RS1+ is better than beta, certainly by the time it's released in Maxwell 1.0.

_Mike
Last edited by mverta on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
By Olivier Cugniet
me too :lol: but would like to have some clear explanation... seems to be pretty clear for beta testers and staff, but no for me (?us?) :roll:

EDIT: huh, didn't write fast enough
By rivoli
mverta wrote: Eventually, the engine will be replaced by Rs2, but the materials will simply evolve. That's the plan at this point.
so when 1.0 is out it'll have three different systems, as tom said in another thread, but rs1 will be there only for backward compatibility? or rs1 and rs2 will have different options/features and one can pick one or the other depending on the kind of scene he's working on?
Last edited by rivoli on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By aitraaz
Ok that seems clears enough. It all sounds a touch complex (3 parallel core engines with RC1+ being the wild card) especially considering the implementation of a pretty complex material system with all three (or 2 up until this point I doubt RC2 can move forward without results from RC1+), but hell, being ambitious is what moves things forward, i suppose. One could of course go on with hundreds of questions concerning the above at this point, but i suppose it would be better to just wait until the RC5 release.... :)
Last edited by aitraaz on Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By aitraaz
rivoli wrote:
mverta wrote: Eventually, the engine will be replaced by Rs2, but the materials will simply evolve. That's the plan at this point.
so when 1.0 is out it'll have three different systems, as tom said in another thread, but rs1 will be there only for backward compatibility? or rs1 and rs2 will have different options/features and one can pick one or the other depending on the kind of scene?
rs1 is the beta engine. it is 'defunto,' i believe...
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]