All posts relating to Maxwell Render 1.x
By jleckron
Thanks for the post, Mike, I look forward to seeing that coffee table book...
By mverta
buffos wrote:1) That phrase on subsurface scattering stoke my heart :)
"future releases" i guess means pasted v1. :(
Questions.
1) Does obj import work?
2) Textures are supported, what format? have you checked with large png textures?
and one that i dont expect to be answered.
Will we have a full featured Maxwell (with all the promised features i mean) in the next 6 months?
I think you mean "post 1.0", as in 1.0 won't have subsurface scattering? The plan is yes, for 1.0 to have SSS. Now, I'm not the one coding it, so that may be subject to change, but it's considered a priority.

As for textures, I personally have loaded 4k .pngs with no problem, (in fact, I just did) but it is not safe to say it's been exhaustively tested yet.

As for the release... yeah, can't answer that. I bet rather than get another date, things'll go step-by-step. But I can tell you that it "feels" different, these days. There are smiles again.

_Mike
By Maya69
you have test a clip map ?
By max3d
Mike, will the 'shaft of golden light' be the promised goody. I would really appreciate one :)
By mverta
Maya69 wrote:you have test a clip map ?
It's on the list... I'm sorry I'm not allowed to comment further, but that doesn't mean it's not good news.

_Mike
By NicoR44
Woow Mike, Thanks!! :shock: :D
By mverta
max3d wrote:Mike, will the 'shaft of golden light' be the promised goody. I would really appreciate one :)
You and me both, brother.

_Mike
By michaelplogue
Question: Are transparency/clip maps working.

Recommendation: A separate installation for RC5 so we can use both Beta and RCx at the same time.
By Maya69
thank for reponse
By dd_
can you tell me if the quality and feel that we got from the beta version are still there in the renders. this is probably the most important thing for me as this is really what made me buy the renderer. i only ask this because some of the RC renders kinda lost that quality and feel to the clean renders.
i know its a different engine to the RC and beta.
edit: yes please can we have it so we dont need to remove the beta :)
Last edited by dd_ on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By mverta
ANSWERS:

dd_ - Man, are we ever sensitive to exactly what you're talking about. Even the beta had that certain "something" that was obviously gone from the first RC's. You know the look when you see it, yes, but fortunately the programmers know how they got there in the first place - it wasn't an accident - so it's been on the forefront ever since. I can say 99% that it's back, but the new materials render more accurately, so I'd equally say 99% that it's better. There's no question that by 1.0 the look will surpass beta's. And for what it's worth, my latest renders feel like the Maxwell I know and love.

Physical sun/sky working in next release?: Should be. Not sure... That has to be turned on and off a lot as we're testing for technical reasons. There are some cool improvements/methods related to that which I can't talk about yet ;)

Sunlight through glass: I can't say... Not only am I not authorized, but I just personally haven't run these tests. I'm not speaking entirely out of school, though, when I say this may end up post-1.0. I participated in a discussion once where this seemed like the greatest issue with the current engine. Thing is, other caustic problems in the beta have gotten so much better, that I'd think it'd be solved, too. In fact, I'm again 99% sure I've seen a render of sunlight through a sphere with nice juicy caustics. But I've probably already gotten myself fired, so... ;)

_Mike
Last edited by mverta on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By dd_
k thanks for clearing that up, i know they worked it out in the first place and it didnt just fall onto thier laps but the fact that it was lost in 3 rcs was a BIG concern for me. cant wait to get my hands on it and see for myself

keep going guys :)
By Eric Lagman
Mike,

Hearing things like this definately makes the wait easier. Thanks for your effort, and most of all your honesty on where things are at. Keep up the testing :D
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]