By jvanmetre
I'm using 1.7 on XP (32) and when I've altered an mxm (seems when a new bsdf layer is added) it will not export correctly. When I try to render the scene, it will not render -- it stops at the mesh in mxcl and will not start the render.

jvm
By Mihai
If you can upload the scene somewhere, as simple as possible, or send it to me I can take a look.
By jvanmetre
Mihai-

Thanks for taking a look -- I've just emailed you files.

Jim
By Mihai
I did the same thing as you described in your mail - I added a second bsdf to 'material' and clicked render, and the scene started to render fine.

Do you mean you add a new bsdf, then do a Pack & Go, then try to render that scene? You have to save the scene first I think before doing the Pack & Go.
By jvanmetre
Mihai-

I think of it as a studio issue because the file seems to work when writing from Rhino (using "Export to MXST"). Once exported from Rhino it opens automatically in Studio from which I then write the Pack&Go (everything looks fine, all the materials are there that should be and I've done a test render).

I open the Pack&Go file on another machine (it happens to be Studio on OSX) and the materials that I have altered (added a bsdf layer while in Rhino) do not appear.

The meshes are there, but there is no material assigned to it, not even a default material. If I try to render the scene, mxcl stops before starting the render -- giving error messages to meshes with unassigned materials.

Another tip-off (from my limited view on the workings of the software) for me is that the Pack&Go file should be the same size or larger than the "Save As" file from Studio -- but it's not. The Pack&Go file is smaller.

Don't know if this explanation helps.

jvm
By Mihai
This Pack&Go is the file you sent me? Because it has less materials than the Save As (since Pack&Go doesn't export unused materials), but all the objects in the Pack&Go file have materials applied to them.... :?:
By jvanmetre
Yes, in Studio before I use the Pack&Go, the objects in the scene have materials applied, and the scene renders fine.

I've got to rethink this...my recollection is that I removed all unused materials in the scene before using "save as". That would mean that the Pack&Go should be larger or the same size because of textures?

It's a bit frustrating...I've got another scene I'm working on where all the materials are applied in Studio...I can go down through them and they are all there assigned to objects. When I use the Pack&Go and then render on a different machine -- some of the objects (usually just a few) come up as not having materials and the scene doesn't render.

jvm
By jvanmetre
Mihai-

If I rename the material (which was originally altered in Rhino) while in Studio then do the Pack&Go, the material seems to export fine and comes into a new Studio session fine.

There is something about an altered mxm in Rhino or Studio that causes a need to rename it in Studio before doing a Pack&Go.

I think an mxm altered in Rhino must be saved before "Export to MXST" can happen. Right now Rhino just allows me to do a "Export to MXST" --assuming it's automatically saving any altered mxms before writing.

jvm
By jvanmetre
Okay.

This is just completely frustrating. The renaming technique only worked once and it's back again to not exporting (Pack&Go) changed mxms.

I think Pack&Go is broken. The work around is using "save as".

jvm

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]