By JDHill
...actually, the only truly *correct* number for comparing render speed would come from reading CPU Time for the mxcl.exe process in Task Manager, and then dividing by the number of threads used to render. Incidentally, this has shown less total render time than Maxwell's clock has, every time I've tested it. :wink:

~JD
By Frances
JDHill wrote:...actually, the only truly *correct* number for comparing render speed would come from reading CPU Time for the mxcl.exe process in Task Manager, and then dividing by the number of threads used to render. Incidentally, this has shown less total render time than Maxwell's clock has, every time I've tested it. :wink:

~JD
I'm not actually interested in comparing render speed. The point is that Time Passed is incorrect. What is the point of having a Time Passed readout if it doesn't measure actual time passed? It's misleading information. Either fix it or get rid of it.
By JDHill
I agree, Frances...that's why I pointed out the CPU Time/Threads issue. It just depends what the user expects that readout to be telling them...in other words, what 'fix it' should mean. Personally, I've got enough clocks around me...I don't need to know how much actual time has passed, I'd rather know how much time has been devoted to the calculation without figuring it out manually.

~JD
By Frances
JDHill wrote:It just depends what the user expects that readout to be telling them...in other words, what 'fix it' should mean.
Um...I'm pretty sure the user expects that readout to be telling them how much time has passed since the render started. Fixing it would mean having it display how much time has actually passed since the render started.

Not exactly a "gray area" issue here, is it?
By aitraaz
and here i was convinced it was measuring my blood pressure level :?
By JDHill
Frances wrote:Not exactly a "gray area" issue here, is it?
...if you say so. I consider the actual time passed to be a completely useless piece of information.

~JD
By mverta
... I don't. :)

I agree that such a simple piece of feedback should represent what common sense dictates it does. Personally, this innacuracy has not had any real effect on my workflow... it's a bit annoying, but so is life. One thing I've asked for is a scrollable history of previous SL updates so I can make accurate predictions about the remaining time I'm going to need the render to run. That WOULD have a direct impact on my workflow.

In any case, I'm sure on the list of fixes, this will be well below SSS refinements and cooperative networking, and as JD suggests, there are other ways of at least getting to the info for now.

_Mike
By Frances
JDHill wrote:
Frances wrote:Not exactly a "gray area" issue here, is it?
...if you say so. I consider the actual time passed to be a completely useless piece of information.

~JD
Well no need to consult Kierkegaard or Voltaire about it.

People are under the impression that Time Passed = render time and presume it to be accurate information. It is not. And Time Left goes away when you stop a render.

You know, this is supposed to be RELEASE, production-ready software. We should have nothing more crucial to bring up than nitpicky UI issues like this. That is unfortunately not the case.
By JDHill
Frances wrote:Well no need to consult Kierkegaard or Voltaire about it.
OK, then...cancel the order on the new Rolex --> I've got Maxwell. I'll try to keep the relevance of an accurate real-time render clock in mind next time I run a machining simulation over 2 instances of mxcl.exe.

~JD
By mverta
Warning: Toxic levels of sarcasm.

JD, I think she just means if there's going to be a clock, how about it just tell the accurate time or what's the point? I think this is hard to argue with. Your point (what's the difference, go look in the Task Manager) offers a solution, but doesn't actually answer the first question. I agree with you that this is awfully high on the nitpicky-meter. As I said before, this gets little more than a shrug from me and I get on with my work.

And this is coming from a guy who has satellite-adjusting clocks everywhere in his house because if even one of them is different from the others, I go Bakersfield Chimp.

_Mike
By JDHill
mverta wrote:Warning: Toxic levels of sarcasm.
...you got me there. I generally prefer sincerity...but...you know, only human and all that jazz. :wink:

Really, I haven't misunderstood Frances point, but I assumed that we could have some discussion about it since it was posted here rather than in the bugs forum. And although it's a minor thing, I obviously do have a definite opinion this issue. I'd rather have a useful piece of information about the real rate of progress on a render, than to have another useless clock.

Now, having said that (again)...I exit. :)

~JD
By Frances
JDHill wrote: OK, then...cancel the order on the new Rolex ...
Perhaps this will save you about $12k:

...and 3 Days later, 82.528 Views !!! ...NL, every[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]

grass generator extension

Just downloaded MWR5 for Rhino 6 and want to use g[…]

Hello everyone, I have a new bug with the latest M[…]