By richardyot
Hi there,

I have rendered an image at 1600x870 with 5 lights + the environment in multilight, which takes around 5 hours to render to SL 17.

The MXI file associated with this render comes in at 1.7GB, I have rendered a few times with the same file size. I cannot reload this MXI into Maxwell Render or into Photoshop without crashing them, but that's OK as I have all the lights as separate EXR files which I can adjust in PS.

However I can't seem to get Simulens to work on anything other than the actual render - the documentation says it should work on an HDR image as well but if I try to do this nothing happens.
By richardyot
Thanks for the reply Mihai - I've tried using both EXR and HDR files straight out of the renderer with Simulens and nothing happens. I change the settings and hit the refresh button above the preview but the image doesn't change.

Should I file a bug report? (if so how does one do this?).

Being able to do the Simulens in post would be really useful, because large MXI files are unreliable, I've done this render 3 separate times now and the MXI crashes every time if I try to re-open it in Maxwell Render or Photoshop. There is a fair amount of displaced geometry and instancing in the file, which presumably is what causes the large file sizes.
By Mihai
I've reported the bug, hopefully it's easy to fix. What system are you running, 32 or 64bits? Did you render using network render? There was a patch for networking released recently which could solve the crashing MXI issue. Something else you might try is adding diffraction via scripting. If you open up Maxwell there are some example scripts which you can adapt (menu Scripting>Scripts).
By richardyot
Running Windows 7 64bit on a single machine, Maxwell 2.1

I'll see if I can work with the scripts, thanks for the info and for filing the bug report.
By zdeno
so I can only give You a big hug.

Maybe license allows user to use old version of maxwell if it has some usefull features ?
RS0 engine , cosinus channel, possibility to render spherical panorama with 3dmax bounce control and few more.

Just try to ask at source.
Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]