...work.
Can any one confirm whether this is a bug or something that is only happening on my machine?
Set to Nearest I select something with a drag and then hit the . key to expand the selection to coplanar but nothing happens. I try + as well, both from the keypad and from the qwerty part of the keyboard with no luck. This would be a great tool if I could get it to work...

Stefano
By juan
Hi Stefano,

It only works if you have a mesh properly connected. does it never work with your scenes? which plugin are you using to generate the mxs files or are you importing obj's or other formats? You can try with the sample scenes contained in the Maxwell installation package (for example "axe.mxs" or "balls.mxs" should work fine ). Set the selection mode to triangles (pressing "T" key until you get this mode) and try it. does it work?

Juan
By stonelli
juan wrote:Hi Stefano,

It only works if you have a mesh properly connected. does it never work with your scenes? which plugin are you using to generate the mxs files or are you importing obj's or other formats? You can try with the sample scenes contained in the Maxwell installation package (for example "axe.mxs" or "balls.mxs" should work fine ). Set the selection mode to triangles (pressing "T" key until you get this mode) and try it. does it work?

Juan
Juan. I will try the sample scenes and let you know. The scene I am talking about was a STL import straight into Studio. The STL files were created by MicroStation. I can send you the files, if you wish.
Before I left the office I had pulled the scene into Max8 as a File Link. I will also try to export from there to see what happens and report back.
Ciao
By juan
Hi stefano,

The STL format is a bit old, it was created for NC machines and things like that, the mesh connectivity was not needed when this format was created. So you can not use this selection features with STL directly, but you can use other format or save the stl as mxs and then reimport it to Studio. You will get a connected mesh and you could get the most of the selection tools.

Regards,

Juan
By stonelli
Juan, I did the test from the DWG link into Max. In that MXS I can use the keyboard shortcuts to extend the triangle selection set.
In the MXS saved from the original STL import I still can not expand selection.
Do you want the STL so you can see for yourself??
It may be a qiestion of how it is being exported from MS.
I find, as well, that I am still not being able to do what I want.
This is a test for a patterned glass so the triangles I am selecting get a noisy glass material while the rest of the object uses clear class. I thought I could create a goup from the selection but when I try to do that it groups the selection with the other objects in the scene (which had previously been hidden). I was able to assign the proper material by doing a right click and Assign material. I guess that if I had to reselect the faces I could do a selection by material but if I had the same material assigned elsewhere in the scene I would be out of luck.

In the end. The scene renders in the preview but when I actually launch the render the surface that has the noisy glass assigned to it comes out pure black.
Can I send you the scene so you can see what it going on and rectify the problem??

Stefano
By juan
Hi Stefano,

If the scene is not too big you can send it to maxwelltech@nextlimit.com
We have fixed some minor issues and in the next update the mxs's saved in Studio have always a connected mesh when it is possible.

Regards,

Juan
By stonelli
juan wrote:Hi Stefano,

If the scene is not too big you can send it to maxwelltech@nextlimit.com
We have fixed some minor issues and in the next update the mxs's saved in Studio have always a connected mesh when it is possible.

Regards,

Juan
No, too large for that. Will post to our FTP and send you instructions separaterly.
Ciao
SS Pinto Bean

It's bean a while.... I don't know how to insert […]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

https://community.sketchucation.com/category/49/wi[…]

Sadly, this lack of a response demonstrates a mori[…]