Is there a quick and easy way to generate glass like in FormZ or other modelers where you set the transparency to XX% and bit of reflection?

Also, after downloading a nice-looking concrete MXM material, I cannot seem to use it (I get errors in the Maxwell render window). Is there a path conflict? How do control texture mapping with an MXM inside FormZ?
By Matthew Schrock
For basic glass, I've been getting good results using the included ags_dielectric_basic.mxm.

What are the error messages you are getting with your concrete material?

The texture mapping for an MXM is the same a any other material in formZ - use the "Texture Map" tool (icon that looks like a brick wall)

matthew
By monochrome
I've done those two steps. Here is the error that I get:

>> Checking Data...
>> Loading Bitmaps & Preprocessing Data...
>> Error: UVW channels ( 1 ) on object "Object 1" not enough for material "Beton"

Thanks for the glass tip, it works great.
By monochrome
I get the same error when I try a regular Arroway concrete texture:

>> Checking Data...
>> Error: UVW channels ( 0 ) on object "Object 159 Copy" not enough for material "concrete-22"

Now, I got the concrete-22 working on a simple cube, so I don't know what's happening. Is this always this tough?
By Fernando Tella
monochrome wrote:I get the same error when I try a regular Arroway concrete texture:

>> Checking Data...
>> Error: UVW channels ( 0 ) on object "Object 159 Copy" not enough for material "concrete-22"

Now, I got the concrete-22 working on a simple cube, so I don't know what's happening. Is this always this tough?
This message says that particular object needs a projector to place correctly the maps.
monochrome wrote:Is there a quick and easy way to generate glass like in FormZ or other modelers where you set the transparency to XX% and bit of reflection?
In material editor "Transmittance" talks about light going through the object (transparency); the lighter the more transparent. "Attenuation distance" sets the distance that light rays can travel from surface through the material untill it is completely absorbed (ended).

What makes a material reflective is its surface finish; the more roughness the more diffuse, so a reflective material surface roughness should be near 0.

For a realistic glass try dielectric at the basics material wizard or an AGS for a faster rendering material.
By monochrome
Fernando Tella wrote:
monochrome wrote:I get the same error when I try a regular Arroway concrete texture:

>> Checking Data...

This message says that particular object needs a projector to place correctly the maps.
What is a projector? (I haven't heard of it in FormZ) Why does the same procedure on a cube not work for the shape that's having the problem?
Thanks for the help.
By juan
Hi monocrome,

If you are using fz 6.1 I would suggest you to take a look into our downloads site ;)

Kind regards,

Juan

(btw projectors in Maxwell are the same than textures controls in FormZ, both means sets of texture coordinates.)
By desclarke
wow, downloading right now......

D
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]