By Matthew Schrock
Juan,

I've run into a problem where the Maxwell camera and the formZ camera are mismatched.

This happens when the aspect ratio of the image is wider than 3:2.

For example, if I set the image size to 1600 x 1000, the image rendered by Maxwell covers a wider field of view than the image shown by the formZ camera.

When I examine the camera settings in Studio, I notice that in most situations the "Film Width" stays constant at 36mm. This seems to be similar to what is happening in the formZ camera and all is fine.

However, when I go wider than 3:2, I see that the Maxwell camera keeps the "Film Height" constant at 24mm and the "Film Width" changes. At this point the Maxwell image no longer matches the formZ image.

One reason this is important for me is that I am compositing images coming from the formZ camera with images from Maxwell.

I realize that you are about to release an exciting new plugin... you may have fixed this problem already.

Thanks so much for the great work you are doing....

Matthew
By juan
Hi Matthew,

I will try to reproduce your issue here right now. maybe you are zooming with the wheel in the formZ viewport?

It is strange the film width changes, it is not supposed to work in that way. Anyway in the next plugin there will be also controls for film size so you could control that.

Regards,

Juan
By Peder
This has been extensively reported before. I am surprised that Juan doesn't seem to remember this. I have sent files and views that demonstrates this.

It is also mentioned in this thread:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=17550

and this:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=15860

Juan! I am also hoping that you will fix the material bugs for the current plugin as you have promised in your PM to me sooner rather than later. I feel that I shouldn´t have to upgrade to 6.1 just to get the materials to translate properly. Mentioned here:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=17446

Peder
By juan
Peder wrote:This has been extensively reported before. I am surprised that Juan doesn't seem to remember this.
I remember your bug but probably this is not the same. Matthew is talking about the film size is changing under the hood and it was not your issue.
Peder wrote:I feel that I shouldn´t have to upgrade to 6.1 just to get the materials to translate properly. Mentioned here:
http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum/view ... hp?t=17446
Although 6.x is thousands of times better to integrate a render plugin if you just need the materials translated properly you can continue working with 5.x, the conversion issue will be fixed.

Juan
By Matthew Schrock
Juan,

First, I would like to say you have done a great job with the new plug-in... I am really impressed with the new level of integration with formZ.

Thank you... you are the best... keep up the good work!

I am seeing one problem...

The problem I had with camera mismatch due to changing film size is still present in the new plug-in.

Here are my tests:

600 x 400 results in a film size of 36mm x 24mm and the two images match

Maxwell rendering: Image                  formZ rendering: Image

400 x 600 results in a film size of 36mm x 54mm and the two images match

Maxwell rendering: Image                    formZ rendering: Image

600 x 300 results in a film size of 48mm x 24mm and the two images do not match

Maxwell rendering: Image                    formZ rendering:Image

It appears that the formZ camera maintains a constant film width of 36mm, regardless of the aspect ratio.

It also seems to me that Maxwell maintains a constant film with of 36mm for images with an aspect ratio of 3:2 and narrower - but then swiches to maintaining a constant film height of 24mm for images with with an aspect ratio wider than than 3:2.

Hope this is helpful.... and thank you again for a great new plugin!

Matthew
By juan
Dear Matthew,

Thanks for your nice words, we will continue enhance the plugin :)
Matthew Schrock wrote:J
Hope this is helpful.... and thank you again for a great new plugin!
Of course this is helpful. We have improved the camera but it seems that there is still an issue. The formz film size can not be got through the sdk (as far as I am concerned) so I am trying to figure out what's going on. We dont make difference in Maxwell whether the aspect ratio is 3:2 or narrower so it seems it is a bit more difficult to know what's happening but we will do our best to fix it.

Kind regards,

Juan
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]