Any features you'd like to see implemented into Maxwell?
By deadalvs
may i add, as a «small user» and student, that i am actually proud to have a products that costs something «more» but brings this extra sparkly feeling that other users don't have ... ?

i think maxwell is (yet) a (niche ?) product with a smaller range of users because of it's «lack of efficiency» in the workflow. most users do arch-viz or design or just test renderings with light. it seems to me that maxwell is more a lifestyle at the moment than a real render-engine. and it is good like this.

of course i would like to use more sockets too with my licenses i have (but i need more computers for this... :) ) but i doubt NL will do this, as Hervé sais. NL needs the money right now at this VERY interesting point of development and before the release of RS2 and every thing and they have gotten paid ONCE yet.
i think besides only thinking in rendering «faster and free», we also have to think in a «competitive manner», as maxwell gives us a new tool to impress most over all other rendering engines! this must be worth something for the artist, else i see no reason why those users should not just use v-ray or whatever which gives them also a speed factor of at least 10...

deadalvs
By Maxer
You guy's have forgotten that Victor said some time ago that once dual core technology became mainstream NL would revise it's licensing to take into account additional cores. This is a really important issue because from now on CPU speed will be determined not by increasing GHz speeds but by adding additional cores to these processors. If anything we need to pressure NL to stand behind what they have already told us and have the licensing policy changed to only count CPU's not cores.
By lllab
yes thats true.
most of my machines are quads now...
hope this will soon take into acount.
almost no machine is sold with only one cpu core today...

cheers
stefan
By Aji Enrico
It's reasonable for today and tomorrow to license either by socket or by node,
not by unlimited manners. My sincere opinion for Our and NL's sakes.

Today we got a bundle of both, a happy 4+1 Render Nodes and Workstation
license and that is a great ratio.
Now I believe by having the ability to buy license for only Render nodes or
Workstation separate is a good additional way to go. Not a substitutable way, an additional way.
By michaelplogue
I of course would have agreed on the unlimited node/license suggestion if it was implemented from the start. However, it wasn't. And to change the policy now would simply not be fair to folks, like myself, who forked out the money to buy extra licenses. I bought five, others have bought considerably more. Do you really expect NL to refund us our money?
By Maya69
this just my opignon

i understand a position of nl (he need a money for a develloppement)

but i think 4 core for one licence is not realy good because a new processeur have multicore

i wish one licence for 4 processeur and not core .....
By lllab
i think umlimited would be very unfair to those who have already many render licenses, but changing from 4 cores to vor sockets would be fair at some time i think...

cheers
stefan
By rusteberg
here is the way i look at it. each user in this forum has clients. next limit technologies has everyone in this forum as a client.

now let's say a client calls you and says they would like to hire your expertise in order meet their expectations of what their project/product will look like. based on a few examples of your work, your client wants nobody but you for the job. the client has researched all professionals in the industry and has decided that you are the best.

keep in mind that your client has only seen the outcome of your work. he or she has never worked with you, and therefore knows nothing of what to expect concerning deadlines, additional fees, otherwise known as workflow. the client has no idea how you work, they just know that you are capable of producing stunning results.

after meeting with the client and discussing their needs, you lay an offer on the table (or legal contract) that states you will provide 4 rendered images for every $995 (u.s. dollars) the client is willing to pay. your client is so eager to see his visualization realised that he agrees on the deal, signs the user agreement, and forks over the cash (plus tax), recieves a free t-shirt, and is out the door knowing that he just spent that amount of money for "4" rendered images as specified in the contract.

halfway through production, you recieve a call from your client. they say they want an unlimited amount of renderings provided under the total cost of the agreement. you tell them this is not possible and that they have agreed to pay you under the terms of your contract. you tell them perhaps in the future this may be possible under a different contract, but until then, the deal stands. you conclude by saying that the client had the choice of choosing any profesional to do the work. however, they chose you and by doing so agreed to your user policies.

the client gives in and eventually recieves the images he paid for. the client continues to employ your services for the high quality work you produce.

although......... he tells all your other clients it is unbelievable they cant recieve unlimited work for the price established in their contract.

hope this makes some sense.
By lchest
A lot of these recent posts are missing the point. At the end of the day, this issue will be dictated by the market. The competition is not going to sit around for long and allow one company to 'rule' as far as quality goes. NL will simply have to revise their current policy if they want to be more competitive and if they want to increase their user base. The fact that some people have bought large numbers of licenses is irrelevant to this topic. For any tech product, whether its a new DVD technology or a new ground-breaking software, you always pay more when its new. I dont complain to Intel because I can now buy twice as much cpu power for a quarter of the price i payed two years ago! Also, there are precedents for this - with 3dsMax, you used to have to pay for extra rendering nodes of Mental Ray (not any more - they woke up & smelt the coffee). Ultimately it will be in NL's best interest to understand their clients needs and cater to them. 4cores to 1 license wont cut it in a competitive market.
By Fernando Tella
I think lchest is right. They will adapt themselves to the industry standard. In my opinion dual core is now a standard. I'm pretty sure that most of us are working with dual cores and new bought cpus have four (or even eight) cores. The single core I have here is being used for post work and so.
An increase in the number of cores/license is imperative IMO.
the render does not start

I tried hiding many of the objects in the scene wh[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]