Any features you'd like to see implemented into Maxwell?
By Nasok
Hi guys, just thoughts :)

It would be really great if beside the import (from library or hard drive) we could also have a feature to add materials.
Say, you're working on one material and it would be great if you could "add" another material on top and use masks (for instance) to blend them.
For example .. You already have a dust or dirt material .. why would you want to rebuild it again on top of another material.

I see it this way:

We'll have a new button (or maybe a "tick") saying replace / add on top - so once you've chosen a material from your library - you're adding it to your existing layers stack.
Now I do understand that you should not be able to bring ALL parameters that MXM can handle, like global bump map or nester priority number .. but maybe you could bring just the layers with it's textures at least.

This way we could build a "kit bash" library of materials, maybe base materials .. and combine them on top of each other for more complex looks.

For instance when ever you need to add a coating you have to always create it from scratch, i know it's just a few parameters to tweak but ..sometimes this could take hours of tweaking .. and I agree, that's the beauty of Maxwell .. but in order to push it more towards the deadlines we need to make sure that working in Maxwell is as / or more efficient as in other render engines.

Cheers,
Tim.
By Mihai
You can already right click in the layers area and choose "Embed MXM". It will ask you two questions: one is if you want to change the top material properties, ie global bump, global tiling, of the new material or not, and the second question is if you want to add the layers of the new material to this one, or choose No to replace it with the embedded material.
By Nasok
Woah - that was fast :)) Thanks.
Does it works only in MXM editor standalone ? or only in Studio ? Would behind to have it in Maya plugin.
I was kinda hesitant to post this "wish" as, honestly, I had a feeling that this is so essential that we probably already have it .. but eventually couldn't find it.
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]