Any features you'd like to see implemented into Maxwell?
By F. Tella
Well, that's something Studio can do right now on CPU, isn't it? Not multi region, but single region render.

How do you want to use it? Preview of several regions? Final render using draft engine?

Regards,
Fernando
By Nasok
I think he is referring to ability to crop the region in FIRE. So while FIRE does it's IPR progressive rendering (draft) you can define the are which you want it to refine while the rest is paused at the moment when you started defying the region.
Pretty much like it works with another render engines (say, Arnold).

Basically it just for speeding up the pre-vis process. Could be a handy little thing - altho not sure if it is something that could be added easily :)
By luis.hijarrubia
Nasok wrote:I think he is referring to ability to crop the region in FIRE. So while FIRE does it's IPR progressive rendering (draft) you can define the are which you want it to refine while the rest is paused at the moment when you started defying the region.
Pretty much like it works with another render engines (say, Arnold).

Basically it just for speeding up the pre-vis process. Could be a handy little thing - altho not sure if it is something that could be added easily :)
That sounds interesting to me. Can't promise anything, but I will push it.
By Nasok
Yay!

Oh oh , other cool feature that might improve FIRE (which is already All-Star here) is the debug mode. Say in Fire you'll have a drop down menu, where you could choose to see only the first layer, or only the additive layers, or only the reflections, or only the direct diffuse, only the refractions, only the opacity and so on. That way it would be really easy to create the custom look you're up to and re-use old materials with just a few tweaks. As right now, you have to disable / enable different layers to see only the spec or only the bump, and so on.
By luis.hijarrubia
Nasok wrote:Yay!

Oh oh , other cool feature that might improve FIRE (which is already All-Star here) is the debug mode. Say in Fire you'll have a drop down menu, where you could choose to see only the first layer, or only the additive layers, or only the reflections, or only the direct diffuse, only the refractions, only the opacity and so on. That way it would be really easy to create the custom look you're up to and re-use old materials with just a few tweaks. As right now, you have to disable / enable different layers to see only the spec or only the bump, and so on.
Same of those things are on Production engine (like reflexion or refraction passes), but it's agains the philosophy of Draft engine (the engine used on FIRE), that engine is simplier to be faster, does less things and some of them with less quality, bus it's faster for previews. Adding a lot of things would make it slower.
By Nasok
Would it ? I think rendering just a reflection is way faster than the complete shader. Plus it would be beneficial to see how your texture looks on a model.

We shouldn't compare FIRE to other IPRs from other engines, but the one that goes with Arnold for instance is very useful for debugging purposes, it might be a switch on/ off feature. If that really slows down the engine.
But having the ability to isolate parameter or channels that you're working with - could really benefit the artists :)

Just thinking :)
By Nasok
Right, .. right ..
but neither we or the maker of the computer are supporting it; following this procedure could make you lose the warranty of your machine or make it unusable.
I'll just leave it here.

Look, you guys do what you feel like doing, but I think it is naive to assume that majority are using Windows machines. Used to, but not anymore.
Personally, of course I prefer nvidia over Radeon - no brainier. But if this is the price for the stable operating system without random blue screens and other bugs - well, I'm down for it.

I know, you guys, probably, shouldn't think about who would use your product .. or how would it be used. But I think it is essential that until it get's into an "agencies" and "major studios" environment it will always be a Render Engine that everyone refers to, mentions it in a discussion but barely uses.

But again, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you guys, in fact I'm on your side, all I want is for Maxwell Render to get what it deserves. And Maxwell has a truly massive potential. And it's just sad to see how people treat it.
By luis.hijarrubia
Nasok wrote: Look, you guys do what you feel like doing, but I think it is naive to assume that majority are using Windows machines. Used to, but not anymore.
Personally, of course I prefer nvidia over Radeon - no brainier. But if this is the price for the stable operating system without random blue screens and other bugs - well, I'm down for it.

I know, you guys, probably, shouldn't think about who would use your product .. or how would it be used. But I think it is essential that until it get's into an "agencies" and "major studios" environment it will always be a Render Engine that everyone refers to, mentions it in a discussion but barely uses.

But again, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you guys, in fact I'm on your side, all I want is for Maxwell Render to get what it deserves. And Maxwell has a truly massive potential. And it's just sad to see how people treat it.
I think that complain should be to Apple itself. They decided to stop using nvidia cards, they don't have graphic drivers up to date, Mac computers have OpenGL 3.3 or 4.1, both of them 7 years old. And openCL 1.2 (6 years old). It's impossible to develop a decent engine on that environment. We have done a lot of effort to support Mac computers. But we cannot do the impossible. Even if we have choosen to do the gpu engine on openCL (very bad option in my opinion), it wouldn't work on so old version of OpenCL that macs have.
By Nasok
Sounds like you guys are giving up Mac .. sad to hear .. well .. we all know what happens to a software that goes only with one (the easiest and the buggiest) operating system.

Thinking about what is easy to do, and what is necessary is probably two different things. And regarding mac Gpu renders .. well .. then let's not mention radeon ProRender .. GPU for macs .. 'cause that would be impossible .. right :)

In fact I was not complaining ... but you guys probably need to go out to the industry and see what operating system dominates .. And I can assure you design, media, production and advertising studios they all mostly on macs .. and you guys want to give it all up because you're just pissed at apple giving up nvidia ? ... well .. that is also a strategy .. just don't say it is impossible ... people say it is impossible to render on maxwell because the waiting time is too long .. but once you figure out main principles - you're good to go.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]