Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)

Are you a software developer?

yes
44%
no
56%
By JDHill
Hello all. Don't take this post wrong, but.....

<opinion acceptance="optional" agreement="optional">

Those who answer 'yes' to the above poll are invited to respond below. IMHO, those who answer 'no' really have no business moaning about a pre-release software.

Stop for a moment and think about all you are whining about - installer problems, UI problems, crashes, etc.....IMHO, these are to be expected in pre-release software. I can assure you all that it is no mean feat to put together the whole package.

Why did you shell out your money for a pre-release software? Because you knew it was a good value. This has always been clear upon review of the results. Why didn't you wait to buy the finished, polished software? Because you were going to save a bundle of $$$, and also, what have you been using for the past months? Have you not produced gorgeous results, even if a bit grainy?

Well, guess what - if you hadn't become an early adopter, you would still be making the same old inferior images with other software. You would not have a clue about the workings of Maxwell, and it would cost you double to find out how, when the finished version was released. Meanwhile, hundreds of people would already be out there with Maxwell experience, taking potential work from you. In fact, those of you who are already owners have entire portfolios produced with a $400-500 renderer. And this with the promise that you need pay no more when the final version is released.

This is not my only opinion.

I've monitored this forum a bit today, and if I didn't know better, I would think that it was inhabited entirely by teenagers, by way of the behavior, language, and decorum shown. Please people, display a little dignity.

Flame if you must, but I will be unavailable to respond, as I will be busy familiarizing myself with the RC interface, so as to be more productive when the bugs are ironed out.

I sincerely wish good luck to those who will have it.

</opinion>
Last edited by JDHill on Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
By etbarchitects
something as complex as maxwell is always going to take time. not saying the NL team is inexperienced in software deployment, but they should have not annouced such dates(22nd) for their software. fact is, it always takes more time then you want it to , and ur guess today is probably not going to be the same guess for 'final' build of your software in a week. but i will say, i completely understand the delays of the software, and focusing on core issues instead of extra features. i mean, right now look @ result ppl are getting w/out a final product. it is obvious that this WILL be an amazing final product, and then we it gets features other render engines have like displacement, etc etc etc, it will be, in my opnion the best(in relation to time spent in setting up your render/lighting/etc to final result).

all that been said, the only thing that got me was the absolute flop of a RC. i am not sure you can call it a rc. but it is probably at least partly our parts for pushing so hard, though the blame is still on NL. the RC should have been held off until they knew they had a product lacking serious bugs.
By seco7
This is just my personal opinion, but seriously I think it is far too late to be supporting NL's actions. Lets remember, this software was promised to be completed this past summer.

I have been in the software development industry for decades and in this case it is all about setting and reaching expectations. NL simply has not done that. At all, and I don't see how anyone could say they have. I also believe that the second you take money for software, the level of expections rise considerably. And as a consumer, I think they should. In retrospect, if NL expected to have this much trouble, or atleast push the dates out as far as they have, maybe they shouldn't have implemented a pre-pay policy. As it is, I look at the current state of the software as not being signifcantly better than it was 6 - 8 months ago. More complex, yes, more features, yes, but not even close to a full release. For example the original marketing focused on how simple and straightforward the engine was. Instead of setting a goal and writing software to meet that goal, NL seems to be writing software and then adapting their position to match. Again, it is about setting and meeting expectations.

And don't get me started about communication issues...

Of course it is just my opinion.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]