Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
By dk2079
from what I know rhino&grasshopper is a very good choice for precision&details like that.
microstation and generative components can do it too but comes in a heavier/bigger package and harder to learn imho.
houdini would also be a possibility as it has a nurbs module so in theory you could get surface data out of it.

something similar in terms of topology I tested a while ago in rhino:

Last edited by dk2079 on Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By feynman
Cloudman wrote:Any idea of the software used for this? Ideally we would want a plugin for Alias. I think Grasshopper for Rhino does this kind of complex mathematical modelling.
Can't do that in Alias (I'm a heavy user), but Rhino's (I'm a heavy user of that, too) grasshopper is your best friend indeed. Now, if someone would please provide that egg-shell MXM, but simulating cleaner hens ; )

Bollocks - of course you can do that in Alias quite easily - but you obtain a mesh (no NURBS surface of degree 3, 5 or higher). You either use the built-in cheap and cheerful bulge texture (1st image) and try tuning that - or you paint a pattern with dots or squares or whatever in Adobe Illustrator and blur it >1 pixels in Photoshop (2nd image). In both cases, you can simply use the Displacement To Mesh tool. The advantage of going down the Illustrator route is the super quick fine-tuning of the pattern, its elevation, etc. on purely visual terms, rather than using grasshopper to code it (which also works, of course). Of course, the pattern has to be made so it tiles seamlessly, which is not the case here. But you get the idea.

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]