Please post here anything else (not relating to Maxwell technical matters)
By bograt
numerobis wrote: ...the Phanteks PH-TC14PE could be added to this category ;)
Thanks!
This is a really nice render node and having calculated the costs its actually very cheap considering.
I will post some pics and stats when the build is finally complete.
Cheers guys!
By numerobis
I don't want to confuse you, but did you consider to build at least the workstation with a 3930K? :)

I thought you want the cheapest solution for your workstation, but if you plan to build more than one additional node you could maybe build two 3930K instead of three 3770K for the same price.
The price would be maybe ~300€ higher per node but the price/performance ratio would be almost the same at the same clockspeed (~40% faster), but you would have a higher workstation or node performance and fewer systems to manage.
By Primus
numerobis wrote:I don't want to confuse you, but did you consider to build at least the workstation with a 3930K? :)

I thought you want the cheapest solution for your workstation, but if you plan to build more than one additional node you could maybe build two 3930K instead of three 3770K for the same price.
The price would be maybe ~300€ higher per node but the price/performance ratio would be almost the same at the same clockspeed (~40% faster), but you would have a higher workstation or node performance and fewer systems to manage.

Good point ... There are no limitataions concerning "overclocking" for the 3930K (6-core) in comparison to 3770K (4-core) ?
By Primus
...and here a very interesting concept for a slef-made tower, based on a cabinet of IKEA ..

http://helmer.sfe.se/
By numerobis
Primus wrote: Good point ... There are no limitataions concerning "overclocking" for the 3930K (6-core) in comparison to 3770K (4-core) ?
All "K"-models are totally unlocked. No limitation.
The reqired cooling should be almost the same for the Sandy Bridge-E hexa core and the Ivy Bridge quad core since the Ivy Bridge architecture runs hotter at the same frequency than the Sandy Bridge.
By polynurb
Primus wrote:
numerobis wrote:
Good point ... There are no limitataions concerning "overclocking" for the 3930K (6-core) in comparison to 3770K (4-core) ?
i am running 4 3930 nodes for 6 months now, torturing them with 4.2ghz.
with good (water)cooling on the chip, temps stay around 65°C
no crashes, not app. hangs, very reliable.

mb is ASUS P9X79 Pro which i chose because of the improved cooling on NB and cpu power regulators.
By Primus
polynurb wrote:
Primus wrote:
numerobis wrote:
i am running 4 3930 nodes for 6 months now, torturing them with 4.2ghz.
with good (water)cooling on the chip, temps stay around 65°C
no crashes, not app. hangs, very reliable.

mb is ASUS P9X79 Pro which i chose because of the improved cooling on NB and cpu power regulators.
Nice equipment ... the price for your mb is about 220€ :o ... i ask myself whether its worth only for cooling the NB and cpu power regulators ..hmmm ... other mb ( like in the recommendation above) is only 80 -90 € ...
By numerobis
boards for sandy bridge-E (x79) are generally more expensive than boards for sandy bridge or ivy bridge (z68/z77). That's why i said ~300€ more (for cpu and board)
The ASRock x79 boards are starting at ~160€, but they have a fan on the chipset (but as far as i know it is not allways running). And i think you could unplug it and place a larger fan (120mm+) in the case blowing on the board (i would do this).
By bograt
numerobis wrote:the kraken has been released now... ;)
Great! thanks for the update.
My build has been delayed but I will be picking it up again soon, defo looking into this for a workstation upgrade!
By hatts
As a heads-up, the whole overclocking question might be a moot point, depending on the BIOS you get with your MB.

I did hours of research and prepared to overclock my i7 and then I opened up the ASUS BIOS only to discover it had a one-click overclock button, which set all the settings perfectly and it's now running at 4.2ghz (up from 3.3), with most sensors around 32°C.

Maybe your BIOS is that easy too...
By numerobis
hatts wrote:...it had a one-click overclock button, which set all the settings perfectly and it's now running at 4.2ghz (up from 3.3), with most sensors around 32°C.
Beware of the auto overclocking feature! It normally sets too high voltages and especially high values for VTT and VCCSA can damage the CPU!
Using the XMP profiles may also lead to extremly high voltages.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph ... egradation
SS Pinto Bean

Thanks Mark! Here's a story that goes along with […]

what about gpu maxwell q project?