By JPMays
I'm trying to create a section perspective, but am running into several issues. I'm aware of two fixes to my problem, neither of which is desirable:

I could use the z-clip feature, but unfortunately that creates a cut perpendicular to the view, not the model (I'm trying to get an oblique shot of the section).

I could also use the section plane to split the model, but it is quite large, with lots of components and groups, and then if I want to change anything it makes it difficult to go back.

I also want the shadows to only appear through the windows and not the cut itself.

Help!
By stefan_kaplan
There is no easy way to create a rendered section slice in SketchUp with Maxwell Render :(
My best advise:
Download the plugins "Zorro2" and "SectionCutFace" from SketchUcation.com (read the details on SketchUcation).
Backup your SketchUp-model - this operation might fail - and there is no easy way back.
Use Zorro2 to create a cut through all your components and groups in one go, and use SectionCutFace to create at section face.
You'll need to hide the cut-away-part of the scene from the Maxwell Camera but not from Reflections and GI.
For some reason it is not possible to hide away groups and components :( , wich means that you'll have to explode the cut-away-geometry.
After exploding select the desired faces and click the Object Proporties Button on the Maxwell Render Toolbar (it looks like a small yellow cube). Select Hide to Camera.
Render!
By JPMays
Ok, sectioncutface I have, but this Zorro2 sounds like what I need. The only problem with this is that if I need to make a change I have to do it all over again. Hopefully that won't need to happen. Thanks!
By JPMays
This is more of a SU question, but Zorro2 keeps crashing or bugsplatting on me. I've significantly reduced my model, there are no components or groups, and yet it still won't slice it. I'm not very far from the origin and my project is not that big, maybe 100' long by 40' tall. Any thoughts on how to get this to work? (Intersecting causes a crash too).
By brodie_geers
I could see zorro causing a crash but if simply intersecting is causing crashes too that sounds like more of an issue. Perhaps something is corrupt within the skp file itself. You might try copying everything in your scene and pasting it into a new drawing. Then I'd place a big plane cutting through where I want the section taken from, explode everything (it's just a copy so you've still got your original to go back to and work on), and intersect everything with that plane and delete everything you don't want to see (going to parallel projection camera mode and viewing from the left or right side will make things go a lot faster). I've used this process with good success.

-Brodie
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]