Have any of you ever run into this problem? I used the Soap Skin ruby to subdivide my site so that I could use the Smoove tool to get some hills. Therefore my whole site is triangulated into many hundreds of triangles. When I export, then, it has been exporting my grass material into, well, 294 different grass textures. My grass is set up to export as a specific grass mxm so when I open up my studio file I've got grass, grass 01, grass 02...grass 294.

It seems that if I make the grass a projected texture it seems to export less than before. Before it took a VERY long time to export and my studio file wouldn't even open at all. Just got an error and shut down.

When I look through my texture file at the 294 grass jpg's that it saves they seem to be the same grass but mapped differently. Some of them are very skinny images, others look about like they should, some seem to be streaked as if textured incorrectly.

Anyone know why this is or what to do about it?

-Brodie
By Sheik
Haven´t tried Soapskin Buble, but the UV mapping tools ruby does the same thing. Every face that has a stretched UV map (I think) is exported as a new material by SketchUp. I think it is the SU exporter that does this not the plugin (Pavol could confirm). It makes the use of the UV tools ruby rather useless, and I don´t know of a workaround.
That was sort of my assumption. So I did a select all same material for the grass and textured it with the grass material (both with and without the texture being projected) and still got the same odd results. I would think that this should have fixed any problems with stretched UV mapping.

-Brodie
Man that is a freaky thing! Have you tried deleting the texture and then painting on to the default material? Mate weird bug you've come across! BTW did the new maps show up in the SU material browser?

Is this from SU7? the intro of the new 'make texture unique' thing may have bought around bugs from the older plugins!
no, haven't tried that Richard. That's not a bad idea at all. In my SU material browser I only have the one grass material.

My only thought now is that maybe when I repainted all of my grass before I still had a bunch of messed up textures on the non-normal side of the faces which I didn't get rid of. Maybe those are what's causing havoc.

-Brodie
By pelias
As Sheik reports this is an issue outside of control of Maxwell exporter (and thus outside of my control). The trick is that SU in this case internally generates a huge lists of textures - they appear similar but they are all distorted slightly... In other words SU needs better UV mapping control to what is available at this point...

Pavol
Sketchup 2024 Released

Any idea of when the Maxwell Sketchup plugin will […]

Will there be a Maxwell Render 6 ?

Let's be realistic. What's left of NL is only milk[…]